Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot load Navisworks menu in Windows 8

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
gunnar_larsson
921 Views, 11 Replies

Cannot load Navisworks menu in Windows 8

Hi all.

I recently installed Factory Design Suite 2014 on a fresh Windows 8.0 machine.

It seems that I cannot load the Navisworks menu in Acad-A for some reason related to rights.

I have checked the LwNw_Export.mnu file and the folder it ersides in:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014\nwcreate_data11.

Both were write protected and the rights set to read only for all users.

I have changed it but it still wont work.

Please help, I need the menu for demo purposes.

Also, I can write the command nwcout after loading the nwexportdbx2014.crx (why is that not an arx as before?) in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014,

and nwopt also works, but

but the command nwnavigator hangs Acad-A after message:

.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.4.0.0.0.3917f2.0: lcnavigator.server.exe - Cannot find the start adress
---------------------------
Det går inte att  hitta procedurstartadressen ?MakeTempFileNameW@LcUSysFile@@SA_NPEB_W00PEAVLcUWideStringBuffer@@@Z i DLL-filen C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\ActiveX Redistributable\lcodieDX.dll.

BTW:  Why, why why does Autodesk have to always hide menu files and arx:es in such obscure places, and why aren´t the menu file for Navis have the extension cuix lika all the others? I think I spent a whole hour trying to find the bugger! It should be a cuix and all menufiles should be in the SAME place! Time and again, because the crx (!) and menu does not load after installation, I have to look for these files. Every time I forget where they are.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
pendean
in reply to: gunnar_larsson

Navisworks is not AutoCAD, it was developed by another firm that Autodesk purchased a few years back now. Apples and Oranges comparison as AutoCAD is not that great a comparison tool.
Message 3 of 12
gunnar_larsson
in reply to: pendean

I know all that.

But I think that the option to create an nwc and nwd from inside Acad is a nifty feature and I want to be able to show it.

The question is: How can I get the menu and the commands to work on my machine?

BR

/Gunnar L.

Message 4 of 12
pendean

Sorry, I don't use Win8 and it works in Win7 which is no help to you.

Is this a standalone installation? Are you a full Admin in Win8, or "local admin" with restrictions?

Are all elements of your suite updated/patched fully?
Message 5 of 12
gunnar_larsson

Yes it´s a standalone.

I am full admin and my company doesn´t use policies that restrict users, so there has never been any blockig like that. although I notice more and more that a full admin on Windows 8 is not quite a full admin anyway! More built-in restrictions than in W7.

I have installed all the servicepacks and the patch DL21985761_64-bit

Still no luck.

When I try to load C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014\nwcreate_data11\LwNw_Export.mnu

(what a path!)

--I still get the message:

Write permission denied. Unable to create: 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014\nwcreate_data11\LwNw_Export.cuix'

The crx loads fine, but some commands doesn´t work.

So, I looked up the path C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014 and it was (again?) write protected!

I changed that and also changed the rights of all users to "Full".

I did the same on C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\nwexport2014\nwcreate_data11.

Problem solved! Now it works, all of a sudden.

Conclusion: Windows 8 is more restricted than W7. Therefore the installation path should be changed to a common place where users have rights from the start.

Message 6 of 12

Ooops! I was a bit too quick.

The menu loads, but is it the right one? It has no ribbon in it, and I seem to remember that there should be one?

The command nwnavigator still gives me the message:

.NET-BroadcastEventWindow.4.0.0.0.3917f2.0: lcnavigator.server.exe - Det går inte att hitta startadressen ( The start adress cannot be found)
Det går inte att  hitta procedurstartadressen ?MakeTempFileNameW@LcUSysFile@@SA_NPEB_W00PEAVLcUWideStringBuffer@@@Z i DLL-filen C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2014\ActiveX Redistributable\lcodieDX.dll.
OK  

???

Message 7 of 12
DarrenP

i also have windows 8

and running Factory 2014 and running this command also produces the same error message

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 8 of 12
gunnar_larsson

Dean,

Can You give me Your search paths for the mnu (cui) and the arx (crx?) on Your system?

Thank´s
Message 9 of 12

I too have the same situation on Windows Server 2012 (very similar restrictions to Windows 8).

Everything is fully patched:

Navis 2015 SP3

Latest 2015 Exporters

Set Security to Full

My path is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2015\nwexport2015\nwcreate_data12\

MENULOAD does load, but when I open AutoCAD MEP I get a warning about it being an untrusted location and I select "Trust" and the warning goes away, but I cannot get a menu at all

Why, oh why, is this such a ridiculous process?  Navisworks is a primetime product (and owned by Autodesk for a LONG time now BTW).

Maybe you guys want to call up Bluebeam since Revu installs and loads an Export tab full of reasonable features.... just by default installation. What a concept! They employ the programmers, I buy the program and USE it.  Notice there's nothing about me programming...Smiley Frustrated

If you find someone's post helpful, give it Kudos. If it answers your question, mark it as an answer.
Message 10 of 12

Also, the NWNAVIGATOR command gives a similar error to what gunnar.larson noted above, but proceeds to crash AutoCAD MEP 2015.
If you find someone's post helpful, give it Kudos. If it answers your question, mark it as an answer.
Message 11 of 12

I also now installed FDS 2015 and I still have to load the menu manually.

The path for 2015 is

c:\program files\common files\autodesk shared\navisworks\2015\nwexport2015\nwcreate_data12\lwnw_export.cuix

To get it to load at all, I had to remove the write protection and change security settings on the folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Navisworks\2015\nwexport2015  to full for all users.

Then when trying to load, I get the warning about trusted locations. I clicked "Load".

Since there is no ribbon in the menu file, I also had to write the command "Menubar" and set it to "1".

Now there are old style menus for "Raster", "Express" and "Navisworks" at the top of Acad ADT, above the ribbon tabs.

This is not very nice, I would want to get buttons and a tab for Navis in the ribbon!

The menu commands seem to work this time though.

Autodesk: Please fix this load procedure to be automatic and fix the ribbon for Navisworks! Please also add the command "export to nwd" as it was before.

Message 12 of 12
dgorsman

NWD export is gone and not coming back, from the same decision that gave free and no-license-required NWC exporter plug-ins.  Have a look at the scheduled publishing system - far, far superior method of generating NWDs.

Trusted locations in AutoCAD verticals isn't going away, and is part of an ongoing process of adressing rising security concerns.  This can configured to suit individual needs or turned off altogether.

Not sure what there is to fix about the Ribbon, as you note there isn't a panel in the first place.  Do you mean create a Ribbon panel?  Menus and toolbars can be converted very easily (one of the easiest things in the CUI editor, in fact).  It might be nice to have them do it for you, but I wouldn't classify it as a bug.  I would suggest making a feature request as posts in the forum don't get input into the system.

Oh, for the other poster: I don't recommend running desktop software on a server OS.  While similar to a desktop OS there are enough differences they aren't supported.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report