Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can navisworks be aware of the Measured Units?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
nic.maes
473 Views, 3 Replies

Hi,

If I have a ModelLength 6000 mm (millimeter),

I want the Length variable to display this in Meters, I get 6000 Meters.

I know I can add a formula to do this, but I would expect from a Quantification tool that it knows its measured units.

No?

Best regards

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: nic.maes

yes, but it all depends on what kind of file you are working with. Navisworks detecs and decides which units you are working with at the moment you open or append the first CAD file.

In most cases I would advise to start all over again if this is wrong.

Start with a new NWF

Append one model

Select this model in the Selection Tree

Right mouse Menu -> Units and transform

There you can determine in which units this model will be viewed

first change the units and ok

Measure something to see if it is ok

if not, go back to the same Units and Transform and scale this model until it is ok.

If needed, go to the options -> Interface -> Display units and change the units, but that will only change things like the number of digits behind the comma.

If everything is ok, then you can append all other models.

Message 3 of 4
nic.maes
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe I was not clear enough in my post, but i'm refering to values and units in the quantification workbook.

Ones a value is added to the workbook it is treated as a number.

So in my opinion, 6000 mm diplayed as meters is 6 meters (while the quantification workbook displays "6000 meters").

I can understand this is as intended, through a formula one can always make the conversion.

But it gets difficult with multiple models, where one models displays it's values in measured units (Revit model displays its untis m² /m³/ mm ...)

but a Tekla IFC file (or any other IFC file) displays values in property sets as numbers.

So I can not use the same workbook item and formula for elements from different models.

Am I'm missing something?

Message 4 of 4
suraj02s
in reply to: nic.maes

I am facing the same issue with Tekla ifc files. 1000mm is taken-off as 1000ft.

I have a long list of WBS items and so many files, i just cant afford to edit the formula for each WBS items and for so many files. Its just missing the whole purpose of automating quantity take off process.

I tried with various units and transform ways, but nothing is working in this case.

Since its a Tekla native ifc, it will always keep units in mm.

Is there any way of fixing this issue?

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report