Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding submittals into the model???!!!??

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
AtlanticBIM
655 Views, 17 Replies

Adding submittals into the model???!!!??

I need to deliver a model to the owner.  He wants all submittals and spec sheets in the model too.  So when he clicks on a piece of equipment the spec sheets will appear.  I know how to do the hyperlinks, in which I can make the spec sheets to work but once I change the file into a NWD and send the file off the server, the hyperlinks won't work.  So do any of you know how to make this work?  I need to import the specs into the model (hyperlinks or etc) and once i send it to the owner I still need the links to work.

Thanks

Seth

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
dgorsman
in reply to: AtlanticBIM

Typically happens with absolute path hyperlinks.  You should be able to provide relative path hyperlinks; the end-user will be limited to keeping everything in the same nested structure but it should function regardless of location.

Might be able to do it as DWFs added as 2D sheets to the NWD as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 18
AtlanticBIM
in reply to: dgorsman

How do you make it a relative path?

can anyone can give me a few steps on how to do this?

Message 4 of 18
stahci

This topic is a year olf but did you ever get a solution figured out for this? 

Message 5 of 18
AtlanticBIM

Yes and no.  Figured out how to do it but I havent figured out how to set it up so I can send the model with hyperlink submittals attached to the model.

Message 6 of 18
stahci

Have you tried creating a new tab and making a submittal hyperlink and a spec sheet hyperlink? I assume you would then have everything linked in the same folder so it could be found later. I read up on doing this a few weeks ago and there was a trick of some sort. I would be very interested to see what you did and where you had problems. If i can help id love to, I am new to this and will have to do the same thing soon and want to look into this before I have the same issues.

Message 7 of 18
AtlanticBIM

I think I have figured it out.  I placed the submittals in a folder and  when you go to Navisworks to do your hyperlink....once you browse out and find the submittal. You have to add "..\" to the front of the file path.

Does that make any since?  I can take some snapshots throughout the process if that will help

Message 8 of 18
stahci

Ya that just makes the file path relative, correct? I am trying to find where i read this but i could have swore if you kept all the files (the model included) in the same folder you could then move it to an external hd or flash drive and keep the hyperlink connections.
Message 9 of 18
stahci
in reply to: stahci

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Navisworks/Navisworks-Freedom-2012-Links-in-NWD-not-resolving...

I found this forum and will have to test this before i begin setting everything up. I don't want to link everything up on a thumbdrive, i would like to do all of that on my computer and then send it out. So It appears that if you make it relative and keep everything you could just move that folder to where ever and it would remain connected.

Message 10 of 18
dgorsman

Dumping everything in a single folder can make linking easier, but management much harder, hence the benefits of relative pathing.  Relative pathing for hyperlinks works the same as for XREFs in AutoCAD, as well as many other applications.  Very handy for when a top-down folder has to be moved or copied elsewhere using thumb drivers, portable drives, FTP, and so on.  There is a bit of a caveat in that relative pathing doesn't work across different drives e.g. a host in X:\BLAH\BLAH cannot use relative path to point to Y:\OTHER BLAH\OTHER BLAH, only other locations on X:\.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 11 of 18
stahci

AtlanticBIM I would love to see some pictures of how you have it set up. The idea of relative pathing makes sense, I'lll probably have some issues but should be able to figure it out. Are you linking each piece manually? How are you handling those pieces of equipment having multiple attachments (Specs and Submittals)? Are you using multiple links? DataBase?or are you using a single link that is an HTLM, Excel, PDF or some type of file that references more?

Message 12 of 18
AtlanticBIM

I am doing relative path and right it is working.  THere is two ways you can handle two seperate files.  Either add two different links to one piece of equipment or, (what I do),  I put all the information, specs, submittals, etc into one PDF files.  Makes all the information in one spot and only having one hyperlink in the model.  I will have to take some pictures or do a gotomeeting to show you how I am doing it. 

Message 13 of 18
stahci

Atlanic if you are free next week I would like to see what you are doing via webex or pics. Shoot me a message with what works best for you and we can figure something out.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 18
AtlanticBIM

No problem.....I am finishing up a model next week for delivery for this coming up friday. So If I find sometime next week I will do a webex meeting and show what I am doing to make the delivery process  work.

Message 15 of 18
jtheisQSND9

Have you created a process for the submittals in the model?

Message 16 of 18
stahci
in reply to: jtheisQSND9

Yes. I never heard back from Atlantic but I got it figured out. It is a huge task and pain in the ****, the BIM360 platform helps.

Message 17 of 18
jtheisQSND9

Do you have a general direction for it? I was hoping it would be as simple as just adding the pdf in the properties of the component. By BIM360 platform do you mean the BIM 360 Docs?

Thanks,
John
Message 18 of 18
stahci

HyperLink the PDF's within the model, its a huge task and a pain. No not BIM360 docs. Look into BIM360 glue and field.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report