Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2015 Navisworks Manage Revit workflows are broken

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
jkirk00
2276 Views, 16 Replies

2015 Navisworks Manage Revit workflows are broken

2015 Manage now can’t be used to manage construction and design projects, if you are working with NWC and Revit. There are no controls to deal with incoming NWC and revit models in the 2015 version addressing scene lighting coming into your file sets from Revit and NWC. We don’t have time to deal with attempting  to manage 100’s of light sources coming into Navisworks. And even if we do try to address the scene lighting, it gets changed on the next cache loads. Until this is corrected, I don’t know of anyone that will be able to utilize 2015 Manage in the real world and for clash detection on projects. On a positive note, the quantification works much better but we had to go back to 2014 because of the scene lighting issues. If someone had any type of work around, please let me know.

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
dgorsman
in reply to: jkirk00

I know you are frustrated but a minor point: not everyone uses Revit along with Navisworks.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 17
tim.wiegand

I'm assuming your issue is that interactive rendering/navigation becomes very slow when there are many scene lights. If so, there are a couple of workarounds.

1. Turn off full lighting. Viewpoint -> Lighting -> Headlight. This choice will be saved in your NWF and used when you reopen your project.
  2. Disable support for unlimited lights in global options. Interface -> Display -> Autodesk -> Autodesk Effects -> Use Unlimited Lights

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 4 of 17
jkirk00

Thanks. The unlimited light option does prevent the NWD from becoming non responsive (crash) if a user/client clicks the "scene lighting" option while viewing the model. It's not viewable but it does solve the lock ups. It also does not solve clash reports, as the clash reports always defaults back to scene lighting saving the viewpoints, even if headlight is the setting.

The other issue with headlight is that it doesn't work with interactive model reviews as we design industrial building and typical layouts are 100' plus narrow spaces, which if you use headlight, the walls are black looking forward. The easiest and best method in past verisons was to just have two distance lights and this created a near perfect lighting setup for clash detection reporting and interactive model reviews.

Message 5 of 17
tim.wiegand

The base view for clash results is the "home" view for the model, not the current view. You can change the home view by right clicking on the View Cube and choosing "Set Current View as Home".

You can adjust the brightness of the headlight using Home -> File Options -> Headlight

We're going to look at making conversion of Revit lights optional in a future release.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 6 of 17
jkirk00

Adjusting the headlight does not appear to correct the issues, unless we are missing something. See attached example: If you are in 2015 Navisworks Freedom, published out and set as Headlight/Full Render, the parallel walls/surfaces are black and unlit even if you set ambient and Headlight lighting to 100%. 

Message 7 of 17
tim.wiegand

It depends on the materials in the model. Many of the Autodesk materials don't have a large response to ambient light. If you switch from Full to Shaded rendering you should see changes to the headlight having an effect.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 8 of 17
jkirk00

After attempting to have our clients use “Headlight” for a day, it’s apparent that this will not work for model reviews of NWC and NWD files. The headlight doesn’t provide lighting that is consistent and it’s extremely difficult to view areas of the models with the lighting going from dark to overflooding with light as you move around. We always used Full lights (distance lights preset) and rendered view. Attached is the same model in 2014 vs 2015 using the work around. Note how viewable the 2014 is with consistent full lighting. It appears we will need to look for the future release. Thanks for the suggestions and work-arounds.

Message 9 of 17
luke.johnson
in reply to: tim.wiegand

Tim, we need to be able to disable the export of Light Source in the NWC from Revit 2015 to Navisworks 2015. It is unworkable that hundreds of new lights are created, even with Light Source subcategory turned off in Revit.

Along with that, not being able to multi-select and delete these lights in Navisworks makes coordination a nightmarish task. Please raise this issue to QA as soon as possible.

Related:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/navisworks-general-discussion/visible-light-source/td-p/2947920/highli...

and

http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com.au/2014/12/turn-off-or-batch-delete-light-sources.html

Luke Johnson
Message 10 of 17
tim.wiegand
in reply to: luke.johnson

There is a bug filed for this problem and I have reminded the relevant team of the importance of fixing it.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 11 of 17
lamensterms

Following up on this.

Is there anyway to set the default lighting mode for Clash Detect views.  Headlight is not always ideal, often it will flood the viewpoint and make features indistinguishable; particularly with the items highlighted.

Message 12 of 17
tim.wiegand
in reply to: lamensterms

See previous reply. The default settings for Clash Detective viewpoints are taken from the Home view. Set up the current view the way you like, save it as the home view and any new Clash Detective viewpoints will use those settings.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 13 of 17
lamensterms

Thanks for the reply Tim. I understand what you are saying, but cannot get it to work.  It seems the lighting style does not 'stick' when setting current view as 'home'.

For example, I orient my view and set lighting to 'scene' > right click view cube > set current view as home.  Ok.  Then I rotate my view a bit, zoom in and out and also change the lighting to 'headlight'.  When I click the home button above the viewcube, my view is oriented to the view I had saved, but the lighting is not set back to 'scene'

I have repaired and re-installed, but it still functions the way I have described.

Message 14 of 17
luke.johnson

I usually set my lighting how i like it (headlight in this case), then make a saved viewpoint and tick the 'override appearance' property. this lighting method is now saved in that saved viewpoint, and I just switch to that before running clashes etc. I also have the automatic updating of viewpoints turned off in clash detective, so that it doesn't mess with my graphics and lighting settings as I flick through and group clashes.

Luke Johnson
Message 15 of 17
lamensterms
in reply to: luke.johnson

That is a good idea Luke. I didn't think to disable automatic updating. I'll definitely check that out and post back with my findings.

Thanks for the tip.
Message 16 of 17
tim.wiegand

Sorry - I answered too soon. Only the clash viewpoint camera is based on the home view (starts with home view and zooms in). The lighting is hard coded to Headlight and the shading mode to Shaded render.

I think Luke's solution is the best one at the moment.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 17 of 17
lamensterms

Thanks for the confirmation Tim.  This fucntionality should definately not be lacking.  It seems that as the versions progress, more and more user control is being taken away.  I would have thought that at the very least, the clash results should be displayed with the current lighting settings, and going further than that, the user should be able to set the default lighting & render styles for the clash result views.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report