Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plant3D Properties in Navis

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
NotFromFrance
5617 Views, 24 Replies

Plant3D Properties in Navis

The issue: Navisworks does not show some Plant3D properties such as the "Weight".

Is there a way to directly read in and display the "Weight" property from P3D drawings when loaded into Navisworks?

p3d props.JPGCapture.JPG

Tags (1)
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25

Thank you @NotFromFrance,

this way other people may find it in an easier way.

By the way in the meantime I was wondering why, and then I remembered I had the same issue with another program.

Check out this for Plant3D.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/downloads/caas/downloads/content/autodesk-au...

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Want to present in Infraworks? Vote this up!

Message 3 of 25

Already have the object enabler installed for Plant3D.  I need to get the "Weight" property of pipe/inline assets (from Plant3D) to display in the Navisworks properties.

If there isn't a direct way to read in this property...(ie: by setting up a new link to the Plant3D object database and/or using an SQL query for the weight property), then my solution would be to export a list of all the pipe/in-line assets within each drawing into an Excel spreadsheet with a column for the Tag# and another for the Weight. Then I'd be setting up a data link inside Navis for the Weight value in the Excel spreadsheet. 

The Navis model can then be saved to NWD using the Embed Data Links option, then sent on to the engineer who needs to see the "Weight" property while he reviews the piping system.

Message 4 of 25

The other thing that comes to my mind is to have you update everything.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-plant-3d/downloads

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Message 5 of 25

"Everything" was updated yesterday.  I edited my previous post...could you look into doing it that way for me? 

I could also develop a plug-in that opens up the source dwg file in Plant3d for each Navisworks object of Pipe/PipeInlineAsset type, and then read in the weight and then add that property to the properties in Navis.

Message 6 of 25

@NotFromFrance wrote:

Already have the object enabler installed for Plant3D.  I need to get the "Weight" property of pipe/inline assets (from Plant3D) to display in the Navisworks properties.

If there isn't a direct way to read in this property...(ie: by setting up a new link to the Plant3D object database and/or using an SQL query for the weight property), then my solution would be to export a list of all the pipe/in-line assets within each drawing into an Excel spreadsheet with a column for the Tag# and another for the Weight. Then I'd be setting up a data link inside Navis for the Weight value in the Excel spreadsheet. 

The Navis model can then be saved to NWD using the Embed Data Links option, then sent on to the engineer who needs to see the "Weight" property while he reviews the piping system.

This is not a bad idea, but it is a workaround. Let me get deeper into this and dig other ways.

In the meantime I would like that @Azmeera.M and @philip.s may have a look at this.

Thank you so much

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Message 7 of 25
dgorsman
in reply to: NotFromFrance

From what I remember, that "Embed Data Links" doesn't work in Freedom - it only works of the NWD is opened in Simulate or Manage.

While Excel is great for human readability, it's a bit clunky for querying.  If you have to it this way, I'd recommend a database.  If you want to get really clever, use a global part coding system in your models.  Then establish an external database (SQL Server or better - MS Access would be a bit dodgy at this level) with cost information, order time, *weight*, and other properties that don't necessarily affect 3D design, using that part code as the key.  Not only will you get access to that information in the Navisworks model, but other departments such as estimators can run their own queries as well.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 25
NotFromFrance
in reply to: dgorsman

Right, "Embed Database Properties" is the correct term, and it's an option when publishing to NWD, which can only be done in Simulate/Manage.  As long as I get the property I want added in the .nwf, I can then export to .nwd and they'll show up.  Whether I do that through a database or through a .NET plug-in...either way is a work-around.  We're getting there, just wish there was a more direct way.  The information is already in Plant3D...Navisworks just has to access it.

Message 9 of 25
dave.wolfe
Message 10 of 25

Hi @dave.wolfe,

I knew it there must be an app!!! You are the man! 😃

@NotFromFrance it is just a matter of will and digging 😃 Sorry I couldn't help more

Have a wonderful week guys

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Message 11 of 25
xochitlc
in reply to: dave.wolfe

HI dave.wolf

Can this application be downloaded when you download it?
or do you have to acquire a license for each one?
can be applied by the administrator and so the other users see the PLANT 3D tab in NWD sessions
Thank you

Message 12 of 25
dave.wolfe
in reply to: xochitlc

I no longer work for ECAD so I'm no longer in charge of that product. However, it is license by machine. You can register and release licenses from the plugin ribbon panel.

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 13 of 25
JameseeT3KVM

Hey guys, has anyone gotten the Fasttrack plug in to work? Do I need to do something in Plant before this will run?

I purchased this plug in but cannot get it to run. There is very little info on how to install. Does anyone have an Ecad contact or could give me some tips?  I have written to Ecad a few times with no response.

Thanks!

Message 14 of 25

Dll file: PluginTest.dll Copy to: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Navisworks Manage 2015\Plugins\PluginTest\PluginTest.dll
I think the plugin worked for me after putting the file in the correct location (see example above). However, I didn’t end up using it extensively or for very long. I don’t have it installed now so I can’t help you much, sorry.
Message 15 of 25

Hmmmm.....I don't think I have the full download. See screen grab of what is in the folder.

2019-09-11 09_22_27-Fasttrack Navisworks.png

So you didn't use it long. Was it not what you expected? Have you found another way to get more data over from P3D?

Thanks so much.

Message 16 of 25

Didn’t use it long...seemed to quit working randomly. At first it worked great, but I installed it to help the engineers. After it stopped working we forgot about it. I didn’t explore how to write the plugin myself, so as far as I know, FastTrack is the only way.
Message 17 of 25
dave.wolfe

You can email support@ecadinc.com for support. When I wrote the plugin, I had no idea of the headache that developing for Navisworks would become. We had issues with Navisworks service packs breaking plugins, the installation location has changed 3x over the years, and every version needed its own build.  The DWG doesn't embed the data, so every solution requires loading the data from some other method (code, odbc, etc).

Dave Wolfe
Isaiah 57:15

Tips and Tricks on our blog: ASTI blog
EXPERT ELITE MEMBER
Plant 3D Wish list
Message 18 of 25
JameseeT3KVM

Thanks Dave,

Very helpful as always! I will let you know if I hear back and get the plug in working.

In the meantime I am working on using Data Tools in Navis. But for that to work, I think I need to switch over to Office 64 bit. Frankly I am dreading that and have held off. 

Thanks,

Erin

Message 19 of 25
jcanales_r
Message 20 of 25

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report