Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IFC-objects missing in Navisworks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
oscar.lindell
6577 Views, 22 Replies

IFC-objects missing in Navisworks

Hello, I have an issue with missing 3D-object in Navisworks. They still exist in the model tree, and sometimes they're represented visually with a line that holds all of the information of the object. When viewing in Solibri the objects are displayed as they should be. At first it was a slab and a wall missing from the structural model which made me believe there was an issue with their particular export but now the problem has extended to a wall in the architectural model and another wall in the prefabricated structural model as well, and naturally I'm now inclined to think the problem actually lies with Navisworks. My biggest fear right now is that there is no way of knowing if there are any more objects that aren't displayed properly and therefore whether I can trust Navisworks as a tool for coordinating the project? I found an old post on this forum from 2014 with the same issue but the problem wasn't resolved there so I'm hoping someone knows more about it now. The IFCs are version 2x3 and I've tried both Navisworks 2014 & 2015 with the same problem occuring. See attached image for example of model comparison in Navisworks/Solibri. My file reader options for IFC imports to Navisworks are: Faceting Factor - 1 Max Facet Deviation (m) - 0,000 Show Spatial Hierarchy - check Convert Bounding Boxes - not check Convert Spaces - not check Use Property-Based Colors - check Representation Detail - Show All Thankful for answers! Best regards, Oscar
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
rgilbim
in reply to: oscar.lindell

ive spent the last week trying to import IFC objects. Not sure who said these 2 were compatible. We have exhausted all options, updated IFC exporter, imported to Revit and used the Native NWC export utility. The objects just dont come clean. 

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous

I'm having the same issue. Navisworks doesn't show some object that are in Solibri visible.

Anyone any idea?

Difference IFC in Navisworks and in Solibri.jpg

Message 4 of 23
rgilbim
in reply to: Anonymous

Same Issues here. I ended up having design team export an NWC file straight from ArchiCad. we could not get the model to import. Also had to export IFC for the glazing and windows. Some reason NWC exporter for Archicad would not export them either. 

Message 5 of 23

Hi.

We recently released Navisworks 2017.1 to subscription customers.  It contains a new IFC loader that should significantly enhance the fidelity of Navisworks with IFC files.  More information can be found here: http://beyonddesign.typepad.com/posts/2016/09/announcing-navisworks-2017-update-1.html  From the sound of the posts in this thread, I would expect it to fix these issues.

Please give it a try and hopefully it will resolve your issues.  If not, then please let us know and we can log the issue and track its resolution.

I hope this is helpful to you,

J

James Austin RIBA
Technical Solutions Executive AEC
UK Based
Tags (3)
Message 6 of 23
Patrick_Aps_9121
in reply to: rgilbim

From ArchiCAD to Navisworks, I use the DWG route: export a DWG from ArchiCAD. In my experience, then all objects are there.
But in my case, I have no interest in materials etc.
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

The new functionality 'Revit_IFC' in the options of Navisworks 2017 update 1 solves the issues.

The only problem I have with this result is that the levels are missing in the Selection tree and that my Property Sets are gone. See image.

Message 8 of 23
rgilbim
in reply to: Patrick_Aps_9121

yes but will all model data be retained when exported to DWG?

Message 9 of 23
jamesaustin2271

Hi Joris.

Thanks for the feedback, really happy it worked.

Appreciate you taking the time to feedback the additional issues too.  We've logged them in our issue tracking system and will begin to investigate with a view to fixing if practical.  I'll track this thread so we can notify you if/when that happens.

In the meantime, please note that info is in the models, its just not organised where you would expect it in the selection tree and in the properties.  Hopefully you'll be able to work around this if you decide to continue using this loader.

HAGW.

J

James Austin RIBA
Technical Solutions Executive AEC
UK Based
Message 10 of 23

Dear Navisworksteam,

I have similar problems with the Import of ifc-data.

The ifc contains rooms and spaces, but in Navisworks the ifc-information was lost.

I am using Navisworks Manage 2017 incl. Update 1. The Revit-ifc does not solve the Problem.

Unbenannt.JPGUnbenannt.JPGUnbenannt.JPG

It would be fine, if you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

A. Tigges

Message 11 of 23
arkijesse
in reply to: jamesaustin2271

Hi,

Was the solution specific for IFCs from Revit or was it for all IFCs regardless of origin?

We are also having the same problem with IFCs from TEKLA software. Where object/s can be seen on TEKLA's default viewer (BIMsight) but are not reflected in Navisworks.

Please help.

Thank you!

Jesse

Message 12 of 23
rgilbim

I've had the same issue with TEKLA and Archicad. I ended up having to use the tekla revit adding and export the nwc file from there. I was never able to trust the IFC file export/import process from Tekla. Data was either missing or solid at times and not fully visible. Try and have the client send you the native file and go that route.
Message 13 of 23
Magnus.B
in reply to: rgilbim

I have noticed that some IFC object with a great length doesent show up in Navis but is clearly visible in solibri. Try divide your object and do a new export to see if you have the same issue. 

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous

I had an issue where IFC objects would not show, when they had an ' in the name. (from Archicad to ifc in to Navisworks)

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous

Hi everybody.

So guys, which is the final result? which do you think is the best way to move things from Archicad to Navis?

Best

Was this answer helpful? If so, please click the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or the KUDO button

Nicola Ianeselli
BIM Manager

Twitter | LinkedIn

Infraworks Ambassador

Want to present in Infraworks? Vote this up!

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous

I think there are 2+ issues here.

• Weird parameter values (it just doesn't like certain strings; like: *@'). Sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. No idea why.
  • Weird geometry (skips faces, etc.)

For geometry, it's much better in 2018, but I would not recommend using the "Revit IFC" check-mark. It kind of makes it worse, not better. 

I usually turn the subdivisions factor to like 3 and it works fine.

1.PNG2.PNG

Message 17 of 23
Magnus.B

Not to mention the insane loadning times with Revit IFC checked.

Message 18 of 23
JiminT
in reply to: jamesaustin2271

Now it is 2018, but yet I have this problem. Do we have a workaround or a solver for this? 🙂

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: JiminT

I am also seeing the same issues with 2018 Manage and Tekla IFC files (IFC2X3). I can change the option to "Revit IFC" but none of the assembly information is retained.  Have there been any workable solutions presented?  I may be forced to use some other review software at this point.

Message 20 of 23

Hi @oscar.lindell 

We still have to use this workardound: 

IFC files are missing properties, elements or components in Navisworks

Pawel Romaniuk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report