Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with 3D points in NavisVorks 2015

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
C0110
432 Views, 2 Replies

Working with 3D points in NavisVorks 2015

Hello.
Is there an API for working with 3D points in NavisVorks 2015.
For example:
  get the coordinates of all the points in the voxel;
  get the coordinates of the selected point;
  receive all the points in a volume

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
C0110
in reply to: C0110

Help please

Message 3 of 3
genscripter
in reply to: C0110

Strange, I could have sworn that I commented on this thread, but maybe I didn't click "Post." 

As for geometry queries, there isn't much you can do in NV.  When you query the object information, you only get Bounding Box info, which is very limiting for surfaces, lines, curves, etc.

However, and I've never done this so it's just a theory, you can try to get the BB for a point.  Maybe the 3D Point, since it is infinitely small, may have a BB of the point itself.  Or, if it does have some dimension, maybe the average of the BB vectors should provide you with a center point vector. 

This is assuming all your points are independent objects.  Also, it's assuming that your points are in an appended NV file segregated from the other types of geometry, because I think you'll have trouble filtering just "points" in your NV list Query.  Maybe someone here could chime in on the process for filtering just 3D Points in a NV appended file. 

To receive all the points in a volume would be tough, unless (the volume happens to be a Bounding Box) && (the aforementioned hacks for finding the point coordinates function as stated).  Volumetric information in NV is not exposed; when you find the .volume method, don't get your hopes up.  It's just the volume that solid's bounding box, and not the volume of the solid.  And even if you could use the BB to determine the volume, there is not command like "FindObjectsInsideSomething."  You'll have to write a custom function that uses the BB coordinates and calculates if the point coordinate falls between the lower/leftmost/frontmost point and the upper/rightmost/backmost point of the BB. 

This has been how I've been dealing with object location but I'm open to AutoDesk's suggestions on how to refine this using the limited measuring utilities in NV.

0001D LLC. Where Design, Genetics, and Technology Overlap www.0001design.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report