Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between saving documents in 2013 and 2014?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JohnHon
728 Views, 6 Replies

What is the difference between saving documents in 2013 and 2014?

Dear all,

I am working on a application with two versions.

One is using the DLL of Navisworks 2013 and the other one is 2014.

In API, there is one method for us to save the file, as below.

Application.ActiveDocument.TrySaveFile(serverPathDocumentFileVersion.Navisworks2013);

If I open the model with the API in Navisworks 2014 and save the model in 2013, is there any changes on the model?

I am also curious after I save the model in 2013, is there any changes on the model structure if I open it with API in Navisworks 2013?

Best Regards,

John

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: JohnHon

Hi John,

When saving to an older file version, we might end up changing the model structure. For instance, if we introduced a new node type in a given version, then saving back to an older version, these node types would obviously not be present.

So, the model structure would only change if the older version did not have any way to represent the data stored in the new version.
Message 3 of 7
JohnHon
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Hi Xiaodong,

Thank you for your information.

May I ask two more questions?

1. Will there be any difference if I save a 2014 model to 2013?
    I haven't seen any changes for the 2014 model I received.
  2. If I save the model in newer version by API, then I save in back to the previous version, will there be any changes?
    For example, I save a 2013 model in 2014 version, then I save it again in 2013 version.

Best Regards,

John

Message 4 of 7
xiaodong_liang

Hi John,

1. from the formats I have played such as Revit, I have not seen a change with the model structure from 2013 to 2014.
  2. I think there will be no change because the model (2013) has been translated by Navisworks 2013, and Navisworks 2014 will be compatible with the older format. So 2014 will just make sure to open the model successfully, keeping the existing data. But there might be some changes if Navisworks 2013 / 2014 opens the source CAD file, but these changes might be some properties, instead of model structure..

Which format you are working with?

Message 5 of 7
JohnHon

Hi Xiaodong,

Thank you for detailed answer.

May I confirm that there will be no differences on model structures for saving models in 2013 and 2014 version?

Best Regards,

John

Message 6 of 7
xiaodong_liang

Hi John,

may I know which format(s) you are concerned? I will check the specific format(s).
Message 7 of 7
JohnHon

Hi Xiaodong,

Thank you for your action.

I concentrate on whether there are any changes on the selection trees.

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report