Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unique field of Model item

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
JohnHon
818 Views, 6 Replies

Unique field of Model item

Hi all,

I am new joiner of naviswork Api.

I guess there is a unique field(say ElementId,Item-Guid,InstanceGuid) for every model item.
However, it seems that ElementId,Item-Guid,InstanceGuid are not unique for a complicated nwd file, especially those containing dwg file.

How can I access that unique field?

Thanks,

John

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: JohnHon

Hi JohnHon,

Could you isolate and share a copy of the model? I'd like to take a look at the scenario you mentioned. Thank you!

Message 3 of 7
JohnHon
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Thanks Xiaodong.
However, I cannot submit the model to you as it is a property of my company.
I will try to find the unique key in Sample viewer.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 7
xiaodong_liang

Hi JohnHon,

I understand. I just wanted to get a demo to dig into such scenario. probably you could remove most models, remove the confidential information and keep the two objects which have the same guid. But I am not pushing you since it may be still difficult for you to share a copy 🙂

In addition, API uses the same properties which are visible in UI. If UI cannot find an unique object with an ID, it would be same to API. Then, you may have to consult in product board if there is any comment. But as far as I know, it seems no way except you add additional property  (in term of a guid) to all objects yourself.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Hi,

We have experienced the same issues. I've added a simple file where we cannot find a unique key for the objects in the properties of the objects. This file is created by creating multiple instances of a linked Revit file. In our daily work we come across these type of models.

I'm curious to see how you would uniquely identify each object.

greetz mark den heijer

Message 6 of 7
JohnHon
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi greetz mark den heijer,

Yes! Our situation are almost the same.

Xiaodong, could you help us to see whether there is an unique key /unique keys for an element?

Currently, I am using partition(file name),layer, Element Id and Guid for my unique keys.

Message 7 of 7
xiaodong_liang

Hi all,

thanks for the good question (actually we are frequently asked). As far as I know, we still have to live on the specific attribute of the specific file format, as you have known. For Revit file, you could take advantage of InstanceGuid.

Sorry, I have not a further informationa this moment, but I have made a note.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report