Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

one deployment package - switch between global and local license

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
ulski1
386 Views, 2 Replies

one deployment package - switch between global and local license

Sirs,

We are having 2 license servers in our company, one serving international licenses and one serving local Norwegian licenses (only allowed to be used by users in Norway).

We have an install script that will direct users to the correct server during installation, so we are compliant with Autodesk licensing terms.

I would really want to do this more elegantly because our current solution is far from perfect. Users find it very strange and un-logical that they have to run an install script for Navisworks on multi-user PC's (meeting room PC's) even though they see that Navisworks is already on the PC. The background for this silliness is that we were told by the re-seller that it is not the country in which the PC is located in that matters, but the country the user is linked to, that is: does he normally work for the Norwegian part of the company or the Brazil part? If the license terms had been a bit different and allowed us to always link a PC to a license server based on where the PC is normally located we would not have had this issue, because normally a PC is purchased in one country and stays there forever, laptops will of course move around as users travel but the laptops still "belongs" to one country.

I have been thinking about if I could come up with smarter way to solve all this . Would it be possible to write an

EventWatcherPlugin that checks who the user is during an early event such as Application.GuiCreated? My guess is that most Application events fire after the license check, so it might not be the way to do it.

So my question is - is there a smarter way to direct users to correct license server on roamer.exe launch instead of the Autodesk default system where the license server have to be fixed to one server or more server per installation before you click the Navisworks icon or double click a nwd file?

Sincerely,

Ulrik

Tags (2)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
TravisNave
in reply to: ulski1

Why not just create a GPO that forces the system environment variable for ADSKFLEX_LICENSE_FILE to point to the correct local server?  That way it won't matter what the deployment has...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 3
ulski1
in reply to: TravisNave

hey thanks,

I guess that would work if I can get coporate IT here to allow such a GPO

Ulrik

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report