Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Tutorials and Beginner Resources

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
sam.z
1009 Views, 1 Reply

Navisworks Tutorials and Beginner Resources

Hello

I'm beginning to delve into Navisworks Plugin (is that the correct term?) creation. I have made many macros and addins in other civil engineering applications (such as Revit and 12d Model) but not in Navisworks.

Can you suggest any helpful tutorials or beginner resources that you know of?

I have consulted the Navisworks API Reference manual (.chm) which is useful but light on tutorials (still very handy for the API documentation though) and I have also inspected the Navisworks API example projects: C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Navisworks Manage 2014\api\NET\examples. I am hoping to find examples/tutorials that document 'Prompting a user to select an element' and'Creating a new element and setting its 3d geometry and properties'. The examples dont show element selection or creation.

Also: Revit has a addin (plugin) called Revit Lookup where you can select any Revit element and Revit Lookup will tell you what API classes the element is made up of. For example; you select a light fixture and it says this is a FamilyInstance with these parameters and this 3d geometry. Does Navisworks have a similar plugin? That would be useful to inspect the elements inside the sample projects and see how they are made up within the API.

Any advice would be very helpful.

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
airpro_chris
in reply to: sam.z

sam.z, the properties explorer, although not technically a plugin, should provide you with all the information you need about the element properties. Otherwise, build and load the AppInfo.ADSK app from the api\Examples\NET\examples\Tools project and this will build for you an in-depth tree structure of all the elements in your file. You need to expand the branches of the tree to find all the properties, methods etc of each element but it is a good way to get familiar with the structure of the document and its code equivalents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report