Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

modify entity name

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
sanjaymann
909 Views, 5 Replies

modify entity name

Hi,

I am struggling to change the entity name in navisworks. The api allows to create new user defined property tab. But What I want to do is modify the name of the selected entity which is shown in the Item tab of properties Pane.

I am using using navisworks manage 2013.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: sanjaymann

Hi,

the [Item] tabe is one of the built-in attributes which is read only. For some built -in such as hidden, it could be changed if you override hidden, but attribute API cannot edit it. So, it is still read only from this perspective. For [Item] >> [Name], on any method to change / override it. 

Message 3 of 6
sanjaymann

Its been a long time and still I am not able to modify entity name. In such a vast community not getting any help. Should I take this as this task cannot be completed. 

Awaiting response ;if not solution from the forum.

Message 4 of 6
xiaodong_liang

Hi sanjaymann ,

having said in he last message, I meant the built-in attributes (which are from the original CAD file) is read-only. You cannot modify it. The alternatives I can think of are:

- either you add custom attributes with the new names

- or you build your own tree view (selection tree) , by which you can show anything you want to display when the node of your tree is selected.

Message 5 of 6
sanjaymann
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

The idea of building tree view sound good. Can you please help me out in this regards ; a sample code. FYI I am doing this by plugin in navisworks 2013.

Message 6 of 6
xiaodong_liang

Hi,

you just need to iterate the model items from the root item, build the tree nodes one by one, and bind the model item to the tree node (or just record some attribute). When the node is selected, get the model item from the node (or search the model item from the attribute you stored)

Another nicer way is to use tree view of WPF, which can bind the whole tree. I wrote a blog as below. Hope it helps.

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2013/04/use-navisworks-api-with-wpf-binding-model-hierarchy-to-tre...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report