Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manipulate Appearances in the Profiler

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
ngombault
2585 Views, 10 Replies

Manipulate Appearances in the Profiler

Hi

Can I create/delete/modify appearances in the Appearance Profiler, just like it seems to be possible in the Timeliner Appearances?

The Appearance Profiler being a plugin, I don't find any documentation on it.

thanks

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: ngombault

Hi,

Appearance Profiler is totally a convenient tool for user to select specific objects and override the color/transparency.

No API for [appearance profiler], but the developer can implement the similar functionalities.

[By Category]: Search API

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2012/07/use-search-api.html

[By Set] : Selection Set

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2012/08/add-search-selectionset-in-net.html

[Appearance]: straightforward ways in API such as 

OverridePermanentColor 

OverridePermanentTransparency 

OverridePermanentTransform (2014)

Message 3 of 11
ngombault
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Hi Xiaodong,

Thanks for your response... again.

I know that one can implements similar functionalities than the Appearance Profiler using the API, I was talking more about manipulating the Appearance Profiler API itself.

My senario is that I have some DataProperties with 10s if not 100s of different values, and to manually create an appearance for each of them from the Appearance Profiler, not to mention all the required selection sets, takes forever.

I indeed ended up using the API to create some thing similar to the Appearance Profiler but that also supports automatic buliding of the "color filter" for a given property (one appearance for each value); and applying it to the model is pretty straight forward and fast.

For a more consistent user experience though, I wanted to be able to save this appearances to the Appearance Profiler, but it can't be manipulated AND it doesn't seem to be possible to write your own .dat file format that it uses for exports/imports.

Message 4 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi ngombault,

no API for Appearances Profiler, as I know. But it looks it is also OK to you if you know the format of the *.DAT file? Thus you could write it yourself and the user could load it when needed? 

Message 5 of 11
ngombault

you are right, knowing how to write the *.dat would be fine with me (although I am a srong supporter of *.xml in general)

Message 6 of 11
xiaodong_liang

Hi ngombault,

I consulted with our engineer team. The *.DAT is a binary, unfortunately there is no any API to stream it in & out. And its format is also not public right now. Sorry for the bad news. We will conduct the annual survey soon. You could raise your comment there. 

Message 7 of 11
zhounnin

is it fixed? i mean directly manipulate Appearance Profiler via API

Message 8 of 11
kevin.wan

I would like to know as well, or if any workaround to read/write the .dat externally will we appreciated.

Message 9 of 11
ulski1
in reply to: kevin.wan

I could write a demo for reading and writing dat files if Autodesk refuses to do it
Br
Ulrik
Message 10 of 11
jmontesh

Hi, I´m trying to use the appearance profiler and manipulate it. Has anything been updated? Is there any API for the appearance profiler?

Message 11 of 11
ulski1
in reply to: jmontesh

What do you mean when you say you want to manipulte Appearance profiler. If you could explain what you are trying to do it would be easier to provide some help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report