Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet Explorer 10 64bit

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
bbrown
1674 Views, 7 Replies

Internet Explorer 10 64bit

Anyone else having problems getting IE 10 to open the ActiveX control in 64bit? IE 64bit went away, but running the 64bit .exe doesn't seem to correct this either.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: bbrown

Hi,

to clarify:

1) Redistributable control of 2014 works well with IE10

2)  Integrated control of 2014 does not work with IE10

2-1) Without installing SDK, IE10 does not load the Integrated control

2-2) After SDK is installed, it looks IE10 can load the control and display the model. but actually it directs to

Redistributable control, instead of Integrated control.

We have logged the problems. Sorry for this. 

Message 3 of 8
bbrown
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

What are you doing to get it the Redistributable Control to work? I'm running IE10 version 10.0.9200.16576 and I cannot get it to work, where it did previously. MS has combined the 32bit and 64bit versions into one program, but it does not appear to load the 64bit ActiveX control. 

Message 4 of 8
xiaodong_liang

This is the snapshot at my Win7 64bits + IE 10. The Redistributable Control works well. I did nothing but installed Navisworks. But in case it is of help, please install SDK and run the two exe at

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Navisworks Manage 2014\api\COM\bin

In addition, are you also talking about ActiveX control of 2014?

Message 5 of 8
bbrown

I've been using the 2013 Redistributable Control up to this point (CLSID:286EA81C-56A1-4FE9-83B8-3BF08249EF2C) and it worked up until a few weeks ago. I will give the 2014 version a try and report back.

Message 6 of 8
bbrown

Installing the 2014 version does work.

Message 7 of 8
vchekalin

@xiaodong_liang wrote:

2)  Integrated control of 2014 does not work with IE10

2-1) Without installing SDK, IE10 does not load the Integrated control

2-2) After SDK is installed, it looks IE10 can load the control and display the model. but actually it directs to

Redistributable control, instead of Integrated control.

We have logged the problems. Sorry for this. 

Hi xiaodong,

Are there any news for this issue? Have you found a way how to make work Integrated Control on IE10 or IE11 64-bit?

Thanks, 

Victor.

Message 8 of 8
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: vchekalin

Hi Victor,

Sorry for missing your question. Actually, this is not a problem of our ActiveX control, instead, it is because of the mechanism of IE10 (64bits) running behind. By default IE10(64bits) will run a 64-bit process with a 32-bit inner page. This is why IE10 (64bits) does not load the control correctly. The behavior would apply to any ActiveX (64bits).

So I’d rather like to share some comments of my colleague which might help from other perspective:

As you are aware, Microsoft itself is trying to go away from plugin or ActiveX. For example, this article probably explain nicely about it:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2012/01/31/web-sites-and-a-plug-in-free-web.aspx

Nowadays, we have been seeing many 3D viewer using HTML5 and JavaScript. Browsers are started to support WebGL.
According to the statistics like this, there are less than 8% of IE users now:
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

It is important to support the browser which are widely used as higher priority, isn't it? So, it might be a tricky adjustment how much/whether to invest for ActiveX further. If you want to use ActiveX control, you may try to build your own 64bit browser. i.e.,
use visual studio and embed an IE Web Browser control in a C# form.

Another alternative is to use Data and View API:
http://adndevblog.typepad.com/cloud_and_mobile/2015/02/view-and-data-getting-started.html

If you haven't looked at it, I strongly recommend you take a look.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report