Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to generate a NWD that includes ProSteel 3D Properties via Navisworks API

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
|flyte|
1878 Views, 2 Replies

How to generate a NWD that includes ProSteel 3D Properties via Navisworks API

I am able to generate an NWD that includes ProSteel 3D properties if I open up the DWG in AutoCad, trigger a launch of the ProSteel3D by selecting a coresponding tool (i.e.:the 'Stairs" toolbar button in the ProSteel 3D Structural Objects toolbar", and then issue the nwdout command.

How can I do the same via the Navisworks 2011 Automation API?

When I simply generate the NWD from the API, the NWD does not include the information.

Can a datatool setting be setup such that it sucks in the informaiton?

Can I somehow do the above sequence calling nwdout in autocad via an equivalent autocad automation api (?)

Help! What are my options here!?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: |flyte|

hi,

I am wondering how you generated NWD. Navisworks will convert the built-in properties of the original CAD file to properties of Navisworks (but not all such as xdata of DWG). it looks even with nwdout command, you still need to firstly add the info with a tool of ProSteel3D ?

Anyway, if Navisworks does not convert some info, the only way I am aware is to add the info by yourself. Navisworks API provides the way to add properties (currently only COM can. but .NET API can use COM interop). <Navisworks Installation Path>\api\COM\examples\AUTO_06 is a sample on how to add custom properties.

Regards,

Xiaodong Liang

Developer Technical Services

Message 3 of 3
|flyte|
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Thanks for the response.

The NWD does indeed contain the ProSteel3D information as long as I load it up in AutoCAD prior to issuing the NWDOUT command. My problem here is that the NWD exporters aren't always available to AutoCAD, --even if-- I reinstall the exporters. I find myself having to manually search for the proper .arx file and import it in AutoCAD. This is further complicated when I try to use this on a 64 bit Win7 machine.

The custom properties approach is interesting.. I will investigate further, but this would require the extra data be available outside the DWG, and I can't guarantee that they DWGs will be saved with their Prosteel 3D data exported all of the time.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report