Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the API Allow Creation Of Elements Or Just Inspection?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
sam.z
455 Views, 3 Replies

Does the API Allow Creation Of Elements Or Just Inspection?

Hello

Is it possible in the Navisworks API to create a new element? For example create a new Polygon Mesh and add it to the current document? Maybe you can only inspect and maybe edit existing elements? Maybe I need to use the COM API to achieve this and not the .NET API?

I am considering writting a Plugin that can do this but I need to know the capabilities of the API before I jump in.

Any advice would be very helpful.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
sam.z
in reply to: sam.z

Ok, Autodesk, let me just say you do an absolutely terrible job of managing your forums - simple but important questions go unanswered, questions about how to develop NW plugins get responses from Autodesk employees saying 'Theres no development tools or material but you should make some and share it with us for free!'. The Revit addin forum is exactly the same.

So as with all my unanswered posts (5 in total) I'll answer my own post:

"Can we use the Navisworks API to alter existing components like splitting up cable trays into smaller lengths, etc.

The simple answer is No. The actual  Navisworks products do not support functionality like that of altering geometry. Once the geometry is in NavisWorks, it can’t be modified. And so the API cannot alter geometry either. The COM API contains ObjectFactory but that does not support creating or editing new nodes.  We can only use it to override color/transformation/transparency."

Link

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman

The product forums are mostly intended for peer-peer support; the fact that AutoDesk personnel pop in from time to time is just a bonus.  What they can discuss in such an open forum is limited by confidentiality.  For development help in particular I would strongly recommend ADN (AutoDesk Developer Network) membership.  Not only does it provide contact with other developers (who don't necessarily hang out in general product forums), it also provides for some direct development support from AutoDesk based on the membership level.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
xiaodong_liang

Hi sam.z

I am sorry for your frustration to get the answer on forum. As dgorsman indicated, the forums are mostly intended for peer-peer support globally. Although Autodesk guys help forum, it is a challenge to manage every question, specially when we are busying on other commitments and ADN questions.

If you have any help of development in particular, my suggestion is also joining ADN. Thank you for your understanding!
while we will need to

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report