Community
Navisworks API
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create an enriched NWD with database properties embedded

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
mdenheijer
1077 Views, 3 Replies

Create an enriched NWD with database properties embedded

Hi,

We have built an application on Navisworks with a SQL database where we load all of our models and extend them with extra properties. We would now like to automate the publishing process of an NWD file, but in this process we want to embed the extra properties we have in our SQL database for every object. We have looked at Datatools, but we are not a big fan of ODBC, for it is a very old technique.

Are there possiblitities in the API to create an NWD and in this process embed the SQL properties into the NWD file as if it where Navisworks properties.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Tags (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
xiaodong_liang
in reply to: mdenheijer

Hi mdenheijer,

I'd recommend two ways which may help you:

1)        PropertyPlugin of COM API. It is similar to DataTool, but you may have the option to link to other database yourself. It actually watches the propagating of property and add additional properties to the node. There is a SDK sample at:

\api\COM\examples\Plugin\PluginPropertyDatabaseExample

Note: it is a pure COM Plugin. the sample just uses it in term of .NET.

2)      With .NET API, you may be able to read your database, add the additional properties when the document is opened in some events of Application. about adding properties, please refer to this blog:

http://adndevblog.typepad.com/aec/2012/05/create-attributes-and-properties-for-model-objects-using-n...

Message 3 of 4
mdenheijer
in reply to: mdenheijer

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. We will look into this.

With the second method I do have some worries about performance and the fact that the property values are probably not read-only. (tested this by manually adding user property. Opening this NWD after publish, the values are still editable). But we will see how far we get. If we have any additional questions, I will come back to you. For now, thanks again.

Greetz Mark den Heijer

Message 4 of 4
mdenheijer
in reply to: xiaodong_liang

Hi Xiaodong Liang ,

Based on your comments we have done some test and we ran into the following problem. I (by mistake) created a separate post for this:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Navisworks/Adding-datatools-twice/m-p/4298478 

We want to use this mechanism for version management.

Party 1 adds database properties to NWD, publishes this enriched file en shares this with party 2. (this works)

Party 2 adds database properties to NWD, publishes this enriched file en shares this with party 3. (this doesn't work)

greetz mark

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report