cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A.P.I.

A.P.I.

If Autodesk will open API for In-CAD it can be very great. By this way user can solve some of their problem by themselves

10 Comments
AndrewSears
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

Can you provide some examples about what you would use the API for in an FEA package?  What limitations are you currently facing where you need an API to solve them?  

Please start a Forum Post here if you currently need help with something.   

Thanks,

Andy 

avasiliev
Advisor

My colleagues and I had a long practise in FEA.
In most case we are using Ansys, Femap and Abaqus. All of them allow to atomize most part of routine work. Also we can do some type of analysis that not allowed in general cases.

As example of "new" type of analysis is an anisotropic creep with anisotropic damage. To realese this feature ansys and abaqus have ability to recompile kernel (Ansys) or use Fortran subroutine (Abaqus)

For more usual API using example, i can list some of our groundwork, that we can do for In-CAD:

• Separation of stress state by criteria General Stress - Hotspot Stress
  • Submodeling
  • Routine work for automating of analysing process for Stres state by different standarts ( BV, DNV, EC...) for example: weld joints chek, plate buckling and some others

also we created one interesting tool, which was written for Femap. It's a result archiver. We can compress result database from any FEA program (which have API for import/export). And it's very effective tool, because compression rate can be approx from 30 to 400. Speed of compression and decompression can be limited only by API itteraction speed.

We also can work with text file. Work with binary file is also possible if this binary file had an specifications or special tools.

I think a lot of users can write they own program, for they own necessity if In-CAD open API. Now there is one way - ask for realisation of this necessity by Autodesk Team in IdeaStation. But availability of API can decrease some level of loads for Autodesk Developer team.

Thanks for interest. If you need more comments - i'll try to write them. Sorry for my english.

Skadborg.NTI
Advocate

This could also be usefull together with configurators driven by for example iLogic.

If you place legs under a platform, then the configurator could calculate necessary cross section dimensions for the beams. I have missed this feature more than once.

tolgay.hickiran
Advisor

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/nastran-in-cad-ideas/nastran-in-cad-sdk/idi-p/7314900

i guess i have a similar idea over here, which makes us 26 upvotes for it.

as @Anonymous mentioned, we really want to make apps which would be used in ilogic.

mitch.muncy
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Hello @avasiliev,

As mentioned on a similar idea, take a look at Autodesk Nastran In-CAD 2019.  We've added support for iLogic for a few of the typical simulation commands.  You can find the tutorial here.  I will mark this request implemented, but I look forward to your suggestions on how we can further improve this initial implementation.  Thank you,

Mitch

avasiliev
Advisor

Hi @mitch.muncy

I take a look for iLogic Command Reference and it's very good that Autodesk add simple automation. But if this page show all possibilities.... it's very bad. It's good for including simple FEA rules into parts design automation. But it doesn't give any tools for real automation for complex problems and assemblies. It doesn't give possibilities to do NiC more flexible. This is only for designers with simple needs, but not for stress analyst with specific needs.

With end of Simulation Mechanical (Algor)... for stress analyst Autodesk leave only variant to work with raw Nastran data... but that's not a good solution. For lot of users more simple can be to change main tool (to Femap for example). 😞

mitch.muncy
Alumni

Thank you @avasiliev.  I appreciate the direct and honest feedback.  As this is the initial implementation and the team still has some ideas on how we could improve it, could you please share some of your requirements that would make this feature more flexible and able to solve complex problems and assemblies?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Mitch,

I can provide some insights of what I think would be important features to work with for Nastran In-CAD with either the API or iLogic:

• Add mesh controls
    • Being able to automate mesh controls means we could do an analysis, see the high stress areas, then refine those areas automatically to see if the stress has converged
    • It would also allow part FEA to be more easily automated from scratch (automatically add refinements near specific features)
  • Update the mesh table and regenerate mesh for specific components
  • Configure results views (in addition to displaying them)
    • I will often set up results views to only display one part, set legend limits (min/max) etc. Having to do this manually when it could easily be automated through a macro would save lots of time
  • Set FEA object visibility
    • Being able to automate ON/OFF specific styles of views (don't show mesh, don't show constraints, etc) quickly would save time
  • Process results
    • Given how limited the report generator currently is, being able to process the results data would be very useful so that we can put together our own reports using the API. More specifically:
      • Read element / nodal results for stress, strain, displacements, etc
      • Get other details about the node/element (material number, part number, etc)
  • Add probes to specific nodes
    • This would allow us to get specific details of some areas

Personally, I'd prefer to see this implemented through the API. Some of these would seem to be much more complicated than others, but ultimately these features would make Natran In-CAD much more usable.

sjurWHWJF
Explorer

What is the status on the API implementation for In Cad?

christine.bonney8AAP7
Participant

Any updates on API implementation?  Not just iLogic?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report