MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Takes on save - corruption of larger scenes

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
925 Views, 13 Replies

Missing Takes on save - corruption of larger scenes

I had a file with 30+ takes i had cleaned.
it was around 500mb.

I opened the file later and it was empty. the file is 500mb, but it is empty.

i tried various versions of mobu,
i tried file converting... 'not enough parameters'

Have i basically lost a weeks work? where is my data, its a huge file, it has to be in there.
maybe the FBX convertor should have a repair FBX function if motionbuilder is this unstable.
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
joel.pennington
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi waz mack,

Can you send me the file? Our QA and Support teams would like to see what's going on with it

Please PM me when you have a chance.

Thank you,

Joel Pennington
Product Designer for Virtual Production
Autodesk
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: joel.pennington

I know this is a very old post but I have exactly the same problem.

After saving FBX file i have lost all takes, and now i can't open/import anything since there are no takes.

And of course i tried file converting... 'not enough parameters'

Is there any solution to this, this is rather large file around 2 GB.

--

Message 4 of 14
joel.pennington

If you can send me the file which causes the issue, I can help get this sorted.

Product Designer for Virtual Production
Autodesk
Message 5 of 14
dmlest

Ah! Same problem! The file corrupts when I embed media, causing the file size to be >2GB. 

Other than "don't do that" is there a way anyone knows to avoid the corrupted outcome?

Message 6 of 14
s0532952

Hello,

I am currently working on a Game-Cutscene with five Actors and just finished with the story-tool yesterday. When I tried opening the scene today, it appeared empty even though the file is about 2.2 GB. I got a backup, but still lost about 6-7 hours of work.

Is there an easy way to fix this or do you recommend doing the work again?

Thank you very much,

niklas

Message 7 of 14
s0532952
in reply to: s0532952

Hello again,

this doesn't seem to be a common problem since I can barely find something about it. However the same problem occured again today and left me with much work to be done again. In Story Mode I use five character tracks, one shot track and two audio tracks. The whole take is about 5000 frames. Is there a Limit to one of these parameters ?

There is barely anything in the scene that could be causing this kind of horrendous crashes, even though the performance is dropping while in story-mode. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The auto-save file and my backup-save are empty/corrupted as well.

Thank you very much.

Message 8 of 14
dmlest

Ah. Same problem again. Mobu 2014. 

Accidentally embedded large media files, the FBX got larger than 2GB... viola... corrupted and cannot open! No takes are shown and the FBX converter cannot open/explore.

Advice??

-Dave

Message 9 of 14
jonnymander
in reply to: dmlest

Has this issue been solved? I've recently come across it again in MoBu 2014 😕

Message 10 of 14
s
Advocate
in reply to: jonnymander

MoBu doesnt work with file size greater then 2Gb. The only way out is not to include content (embedded files) with your scene while saving.

---
Programming and Animation - neill3d.com
Message 11 of 14
s0532952
in reply to: jonnymander

Hey,

the solution in my case was to plot everything and delete all of the story-clips, since they seem to increase the file-size considerably.

In other words, it looks like you have to finish your story-workflow in one setting, at least if it's got a lot of content in it.

cheers

Message 12 of 14
doodski

Occasionally, Motionbuilder reverts to it's original settings, and the user will unwittingly save with "embed medias" checked on. Next thing you know, you've saved a file that is >2gb and contains no takes and opens an empty scene. This is a major problem, and my team has experienced it multiple times. It would be nice to have "embed Medias" off by default as a start to avoid the issue, since there's no support for large file sizes. 

Message 13 of 14
s
Advocate
in reply to: doodski

Options for controlling embed content you can find in the My Documents\MB\MB-<version>x64\config\<User name>.Application.txt

There is a category [SaveLoad] inside that text file and parameter "EmbedMedias" which you can set to "No". Moreover you have possibility to hide emded medias from UI with option "ShowEmbedMediasOption"

---
Programming and Animation - neill3d.com
Message 14 of 14
Andrey.Mesh

Same problem with MB 2020. Opened file and nothing there. Tried to "motion file import" got empty takes and Error >file is corrupted

My advise is: don't save too many takes in one file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report