MotionBuilder Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s MotionBuilder Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular MotionBuilder topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Animation with trigger device

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
bornToBeAMonkeyAvatar
1765 Views, 13 Replies

Animation with trigger device

Hi I am not exactly a begginer with MB but I am still time to time incredible frustration...

Here is what I want to do:

Animate a caracter with a device that is not keyboard nor a joystick (say a Mouse to simplify).

Here is what I have:

a) my animation loops set 

b) I defined branches and Trigger List 

1.png

I am able to control my caracter with a Keyboard, so far no problem.

Now I naively thought that it would be enough to use a I/O Trigger device and to connect it to any other device using a Relation constrain. This part does not work at all. 

The trigger device is online and Live and I chosed 3 triggers associated with my controls. I opened a relation and drag/drop the trigger as a receiver. The following setting does not produce any sort of animation of my caracter:

2.png 

Am I missunderstanding the concept of a trigger device? is there some other way to to control animation trigger with external devices?

Thank you in advance!

S'

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Hi,

I have it now working but problem was so ridiculous that I cannot imagine this is how it actually should have been resolved...

For trigger annimation to work in a relation, propreties window should be open and trigger should be selected... only in this case the relation will work, if I unselect the trigger in the navigator list, the relation stops working.

Does anybody know how this problem can be resolved?

Cheers!

Message 3 of 14

that sounds like a bug. What version, do you have the service pack installed? Log it, so few people use the trigger that I know of, I am sure it just got missed as a bug.
Message 4 of 14

Hi Brad!

thank you for your replay.

I am working with MB 2014 on w7. I don't see a service pack for it yet. 

I am not sure what/how do you propose me to log? 

Cheers!

S' 

Message 5 of 14

also you say few people use it,

I can see that from the very small amount of information autodesk gives on how annimation triggering actually works. 

Do you advise something better to use to trigger annimations on MB? 

S'

Message 6 of 14

There is another thread I just posted to looking at using takes and python to jump between and play them like triggers was an idea.

Sent from a phone
Message 7 of 14

Use the submit bug feature from the help menu or in the Autodesk site so that it gets in to the big que. positing here almost never will make that happen.

Sent from a phone
Message 8 of 14

cannot find your other thread about python and takes? 

can you send plz me your link?

Cheers

S' 

Message 9 of 14

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-MotionBuilder-General/Looking-for-animation-sandbox-solution/...

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~ "Is this episode going on the air live?"~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~ "No, Homer. Very few cartoons are broadcast live-~~~~~~
~~~~~~ It's a terrible strain on the animators' wrists."~~~~~~
Brad Clark
Motion Editor/Animator/Character TD...Austin TX
Co-Founder / Mentor @ www.RiggingDojo.com
Message 10 of 14
s
Advocate
in reply to: bornToBeAMonkeyAvatar

Hello to everyone,

I know that It's an old thread, but I would like to add some note about that, maybe will be helpful for someone.

Trigger device in relation realy needs to be open in property view window, that's true. The only tip here is that you can open a new property view window just for locking trigger device there. In that case you will be able to deselect trigger device.

---
Programming and Animation - neill3d.com
Message 11 of 14
s
Advocate
in reply to: s

One more update about triggers.

Trigger device works if you connect "Must Pull" property to some other property in relation constraint (for example, connect to Null scaling)

---
Programming and Animation - neill3d.com
Message 12 of 14
AVTPro
in reply to: s

I know this is really old, and probably no one uses triggers but I would like to try it.

However, I have found little to no information on how to set up a basic trigger for loops, runs or jumps.

It would be great if there was at least one workable tutorial on Youtube.

Thanks.

Message 13 of 14

The best "tutorial" is looking at the example files for the trigger tool so you can look at the motions that are setup for it..

I honestly think it would be better/faster to setup a trigger in unity or unreal and faster than trying to build and setup and mess with the trigger tool, there is a reason you are not finding any tutorials...because no one that I know of used it.

Message 14 of 14

In this old thread you'll find a downloadable set of example files an instructions, very helpful.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/motionbuilder-forum/animation-trigger/td-p/4079159?nobounce=

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report