Moldflow Insight Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Moldflow Insight Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Moldflow Insight topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reduce deflection?

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
Sanjay_paul
1630 Views, 28 Replies

How to reduce deflection?

Hello everyone,
I have a part which is getting 7.9mm deflection.Is it possible to see how the deflection is reduced by adding cooling channel and rerunning the analysis. If yes, what are the steps after adding cooling channel to get better deflection result. I have previously run a simulation with and without cooling channel but there is no difference between the deflection results. Maybe I am doing it wrong way. Please comment your valuable opinion if you have faced the same problem.

Deflection.PNG

Comparison with and without cooling channel

deflection 1.PNG

Regards

Sanjay Paul

28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
madhukeshwart
in reply to: Sanjay_paul

1. If cooling is uniform at both core and cavity side. Then deflection may not  improve much for such parts, with cooling vs without cooling 

2. Try to increasing coolant temperature  at core side, which may increase core side temperature and shrinkage.

Then deflection may improve in z-direction. but it may not be drastic change in deflection . Try and confirm

3. For such long and flat parts,higher deflection  may not be a issue during assembly, as snaps will be at end fill region, which helps to assembly properly.

confirm with actual part

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 3 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Hello Mr. Madhukeshwart,

Thanks a lot for your opinion.I will rerun the simulation as per your advise and let you know what will happen. What should be the temperature of cooling channel and how much should I reduce in core side in your experience? what should you recommend? I was using 25degree Celsius in previous simulation.

Regards

Sanjay Paul

Message 4 of 29
madhukeshwart

Try to increase with 5 DegC & 10 Deg C

run iterations with different options 

Madhukeshwar Talwar

FORD MOTORS PRIVATE LIMITED, Chennai
mail: madhukeshwart@gmail.com
======================================
Please use . Accept as Solution and Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you! .....
Message 5 of 29
Anonymous

Hi @Sanjay_paul

I would like to ask few questions regarding the flow or cavity balancing & pressure distribution, before giving suggestions on warpage reduction.

please do share the fill time plot along with Pressure @ V/P switch over plot also the packing profile you used with the gate freezing time.

Thanks

Message 6 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello Sabarinathan,

Thanks for your comment. I have added the images as you requested.

balance fill.PNGpressure.PNGFreeze time.PNG

Regards

Sanjay Paul

Message 7 of 29
Anonymous

Hi @Sanjay_paul

You have to make sure that we have achieved flow balancing on each part. adjust the feed system position until you get the flow balanced condition.

Option01 - End fill should be on all these 3 regions & check the results (Refer attached images). definitely your injection pressure will get reduced once the flow has been balanced in the part.

Option01.JPG

Option02 - Try achieve the flow balancing condition on this four end fill regions.

Optimizing the flow is a primary step to follow which will solve most of the filling related issues.

This might also sometimes help reducing the warpage & the pressure requirement to fill this part.

Try & let us know

Message 8 of 29
Anonymous

I dont know why Option02 picture was not uploaded.

im adding again Option02 picture - try get the end fill on this regions

Option02.JPG

Message 9 of 29
PascalGosset

Hi Paul,

I don't really understand if you are talking about an existing part or not.

It'd be also useful to know what is the material injected.

Personally, I think warp predictions are +/- reliable in this order : material with glass fibers > amorphous > crystalline.

It seems you used a 3D mesh. For parts so long, I think a Dual Domain mesh is sufficient and much more faster.

Of cause, results can be very different (but... witch is the worst???  😞

Concerning the cooling, I believe it takes a lot of time for modeling and calculation and shows poor differences.

Then, what to do to reduce deflections?

That's a terrible question....   😞

It's rarely easy, and never logic. So try the modifications that can be done.

(I warn you: sometimes it is not enough).

My first reaction is to suppress the ribs. I just did it today. (I'm not sure my customer will appreciate 😉

But this often reduces (not suppress) the deformation (-70% today).

And like this, the part is less rigid and can be deformed for its assembly in the final device. 

Good luck.

Signature: "Maybe Moldflow does not work properly, but the real world neither" my son...6 years old 😉

Message 10 of 29
mppkumar

Hi @Sanjay_paul

Procedure for optimizing warpage

1) identify the causes of warpage

- shrinkage

- fiber orientation

- cooling

2) if the warpage is influenced by cooling, then you may need to optimize the cooling channels based on core and cavity side temperatures.

if the effect of cooling is negligible, optimizing the cooling channel is not a solution to reduce the warpage

3) in your Comparison with and without cooling channel - image, noticed you have used dual domain mesh

in case of DD mesh mesh match should be more than 90% for better prediction of warpage.

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
Message 11 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: madhukeshwart

Hello Mr. Madhukeshwar,

As you said I had run my simulation with 5 DegC & 10 Deg C. Comparison with and without cooling is given below. Small change in deflection.

Comparison with and without cooling.PNG

Regards

Paul

Message 12 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: PascalGosset

Hello pascal,

Yes I am talking about a existing part and it has deflection but not large as simulation. Material is LG ABS HI-121H. I used Dual Domain mesh with cooling line but the comparison between with and without cooling is not making any sense.I think suppressing the ribs will cause to more deflection because ribs increases the strength of a product.

Regards

Paul

Message 13 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: mppkumar

Hello Pradeep Kumar,

Thanks for your opinion. My model has mesh Match percentage 87.1% and  Reciprocal percentage 86.7% . Can you tell me how can I get better result in deflection adding cooling channel?

Regards

Paul

Message 14 of 29
Sanjay_paul

Hi Sabarinathan,

I am working on this fill balancing. I will get back to you when it is done.

Regards

Paul

Message 15 of 29
mppkumar

Hi @Sanjay_paul

I hope you have used cooling circuit wizard to create the cooling channels.

you are trying to correlate the warpage of actual part with different cooling channels using Moldflow

If this is the existing part, try to simulate the exact cooling channels as in the tool 

if you are trying to correlate the results, first you should replicate the problem in Moldflow

1) use the feed system as in the tool

2) model cooling channels as in tool

3) use same material 

4) try to incorporate process parameters as used during production

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

If my views / comments acceptable, provide "Kudos" as appreciation, if answers your query, please click the "Accept as Solution"
Message 16 of 29
mppkumar

Having ribs at times increases warpage, Please don't go by the impression having ribs will reduce warpage

CAE tools like Moldflow are there to evaluate different designs

please try different iterations with different rib structure and optimize your design

Thanks
M P Pradeep Kumar

Message 17 of 29
mtrujil1

are those deco caps for door Refrigerator???

In my last job normally we used 4 cold gates per cavity, our lessons learned were reduce all flow lengths to improve warp predictions; also please try increase Cavity or Core Temperature ~25C of difference between sides.

Message 18 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: mppkumar

Hi Pradeep Kumar,

Yes I used cooling circuit wizard to create cooling channel because firstly I just wanted to know that adding cooling channel reduces warpage.It was my main goal.I really agree with your opinion about the steps you said and also about the ribs .

Suppose your are getting deflection without cooling channel and adding cooling channel you get less deflection. Do you have experienced something like that?If yes can you please give me some snaps comparing with and without cooling and steps how do you do it?

Regards

Sanjay Paul

Message 19 of 29
Sanjay_paul
in reply to: mtrujil1

Hi mtrujil1,

Yes you are right it is a door cap for our refrigerator. Thanks a lot for your opinion. About the temperature do you mean the difference between core and cavity temperature need to be 25deg celsius?

Regards

Sanjay paul

Message 20 of 29
Sanjay_paul

Hello Sabarinathan,

You had  given more importance in balancing the flow in your comment. Now I understand why balancing is more important firstly. Thanks a lot for your advise..

At first stage when flow is not balanced:

Deflection:10.04mm

Fill time + deflection.PNG

At second stage where flow is balanced:

Deflection:8.835mm

balancing flow.PNG

At third stage when flow is balance and ribs are changed

Deflection:6.768mm

Balancing flow and changing rib.PNG

Regards

Sanjay Paul

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report