Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wire Parameters unavailable/greyed out - Help!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Neon69
2692 Views, 7 Replies

Wire Parameters unavailable/greyed out - Help!

Hello Autodesk community! This is my first post in here and I am excited to own a student licensed Autodesk 3DS Max Design 2015 - software Smiley Happy

However! I ran into weird problem i have not ran into before. I wanted to start by modelling a windmill, which i would then animate, but I cant start doing this because for some reason i cant access the wire parameter options.

I also tried to access it from the Toolbar -> Animation -> Wire Parameters -> Parameter Wire Dialog but everything is greyed out in there too. I have provided screenshots of this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Nikita

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Neon69

I wonder if you managed to change the default contollers.
Command Panel > Motion tab > expand the Assign Cotroller rollout. You should see PositionXYZ, EulerXYZ, Bezier Float (for the Position, Rotation and Scale respectively). If not, let us know and we can tell you how to put them right. If they are correct then you may need to post the scene (zipped!) for us to look at.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 8
Neon69
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Hi Steve!

I see PositionXYZ, EulerXYZ and Bezier Scale in the Assign controller parameters.

Message 4 of 8
Steve_Curley

Can you Zip the scene and attach it to a reply then we can take a look.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 8
Neon69

The Zip file size exceeded the 5,24mb limit by few kilobytes, so i uploaded it to a third party host service.

Scene Zip File

Message 6 of 8
Steve_Curley

Simple answer - don't use Groups.
Long answer....

First, your System Units are Inches but your Display Units are Meters. Not good. If you're working in Metric then at the very least the System Units should also be Metric, and preferably the same units. Meters are quite big for something that size, I'd be tempted to use cm - that way the smaller details are much easier to work with. Note that you can't simply change the units - it's rather more involved than that, unless you set them up before adding anything to the scene.

Groups. Bad. Don't - especially if you're intending to animate.
Ungroup everything.
Select everything, Command Panel > Utilities tab > Reset XForm.
Change the System Units (NOT the Display units which can go to either cm or generic) to cm.
Utilities > Rescale World Units. Select Scene and 2.54 because your Units are inches and there's 2.54cm to the Inch.
Using the Select and Link tool, link each Sail to its support, link the 3 supports to Cylinder002, link Gear003 to Cylinder002. Similarly, link the crushing stone to gear002 and cylinder001 to gear002. You should then be able to animate the main spindle (cylinder002) and use the wire params between Cylinder002 (X rotation) to gear002 (Z rotation) to get the effect you want.

Some things are not exactly horizontal/vertical - may be by design, but if not you should probably sort those out before doing the Reset XForm (if they're animated, the other stuff doesn't matter so much).

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 8
Neon69

Oh gosh, I thought that Display units was all there was. I did how you told me and the Wire Parameters option became available again. I also fixed the pivots of objects and now the result is exactly like i wanted. I now also realize the problematic way of thinking when grouping objects instead of linking them.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Steve_Curley

Better to learn about such things now, when you're just starting out, than later when it might really matter 🙂

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report