Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which UV unwrap you will prefer?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sandeep3250
191 Views, 2 Replies

Which UV unwrap you will prefer?

I have modeled a simple waist belt for my character. I have unwrapped it twice and i am not sure which unwrap should i use. Please have a look and suggest me. I am going to texture it in PS and Mudbox. 🙂 Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Brock_Lafond
in reply to: sandeep3250

There are a few things you have to consider.

Are you using a 3D painting program or a 2D app like Photoshop?
Will the object be subdivided?
Are you using normal maps?

Having the UVs form a closed loop means that there will not be any texture seams. However, the UV's now have a gradual distortion towards the inside of the closed loop. You can use Tangent based normal maps without worrying about visible seams. If you subdivide the UVs your texture maps shouldn't have any problems.

By having multiple UV clusters distortion will be limited, however you have to deal with seams. It might even be easier to paint on the clusters in Photoshop, instead of the 1 ring island. Painting out the seams can be challenging without the use of a 3D painting app, unless the texture is basic. Subdividing these UVs may cause the some sliding and distortion, resulting in the areas of the texture not lining up properly. If you apply a normal map, those maps using Tangent space may produce visible seams. (Materials that properly read Tangents don't have this problem) If seams are visible, you will have to use Local Space normal maps.

Hope I've helped steer you in some direction.
Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 3 of 3
sandeep3250
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Thank you sir. This is very helpful. by the way i am going to paint this texture in Photoshop and mudbox. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report