Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is Keep Faces Together in Maya 2015

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
tgentry2
41039 Views, 13 Replies

Where is Keep Faces Together in Maya 2015

I do not like the new Modeling Toolkit. Because if you hit extrude to get to the options it goes ahead and preforms the extrude. Problem is that is the only place I could find the Keep faces together toggle. And it defaults to on so it is really hard to get it turned off prior to the extrude. Is this toggle in another place as well or am I stuck with the toolbox.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
damaggio
in reply to: tgentry2

It's in the channel box ... You can fine tune the numbers there for offset. Thickness and also keep faces together ... Enter 0 or 1 to turn on and off.
Message 3 of 14
tgentry2
in reply to: damaggio

Ok so I fix it after I have done it wrong. As you can tell I prefer the old way were you set your tool up prior to using it. Not fixing it after the fact. I am in the process of finding the keyin for that option so I can run it without using the extrude in the Modeling Toolbox.

Thanks for your help

Message 4 of 14
rob_ruckus

I agree, annoying they removed that in the menu, 

the command is

polyExtrudeFacet -kft 1; for on

polyExtrudeFacet -kft 0; for off

Wouldnt be that hard to put that back in the menu if you need to with a little mel change( if you know the location of that menu) .

Otherwise add it to the shelf. Couple of tools out there that are better than working from the default menus for modeling.  

Message 5 of 14
marcttucker
in reply to: rob_ruckus

I was having the complete opposite problem but found the solution.  Just go to your Preferences.  So Window > Settings/Preferences > Preferences.  Then under Settings > Modeling there is a check box for Keep Faces Together under Polygons.  Set it on or off.  Hope that helps.

Message 6 of 14
tgentry2
in reply to: marcttucker

Yes I like planning what I am doing before I do it.. The Preference setting is good, but a little too much clicking if you are alternating between on or off during a build. I also found that you can select the faces and Extrude.. Then you can ctrl+Right-click and get a context menu that will give you a toggle to change the option for that extrusion, easier and faster.

rob_ruckus... your suggestion is needing more arguments to work, and I did argue for a while with it. I found where that may have came from on autodesk site but their stuff is talking, if you are exicuting an extrusion and not just turning on or off prior to extrusion.

Thanks

Message 7 of 14
tgentry2

Sorry that was Shift+ctrl+Right-click to get to that context menu

Message 8 of 14
alik

hi

when the extrude manulpilator is visible press

Shift + Control + Right Click (Windows)

Shift + Command + Right Click (Mac)

Then you will see Toggle Keep Faces Together on the screen.

Message 9 of 14
gshank

Mine doesn't seem to be working no matter which solution I try.  Anyone else run into that?

Message 10 of 14
tgentry2
in reply to: gshank

gshank

There is a toggle, after you select faces and hit the extrude faces, you can Ctrl+Shift and right-click then swipe down. That will toggle it to whatever it was not. So if you have your preferences to always be on, the toggle will swipe it to off. then you can finish your extrusion. But you do need to exicute the extude faces before you will see the option.

Have fun modelling.

Message 11 of 14
gshank

I appreciate the quick response.

I must be doing something else wrong.

The right click thing hasn't been working on this model, but it is working on a subdivided plane.

I have 3 separate polygons (each with 4 sides and one side of each lines up with one of the other polys). I have parented them to a locator, beveled separately even toggling on and off. Grouped them, same thing. Combined them, same thing. Cleaned up, same thing.

I re-built in Illustrator and got the Create Illustrator (with the bevel) to work. So I'm good on this project.

Thank you for the response. I need to go back to a primary modeling tutorial and figure out what I'm forgetting.
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous

When selecting faces, after hitting Extrude, you should see the pop up box "polyExtrudeFace1" where it asks several conditions, Thickness, Local Translate Z,  Offset, Divisions, and Keep Faces Together.

Just change Keep Faces Together to Off or On.

This was available with default, out of the box settings, using Maya LT 2016.

keep_faces_together.JPG

Message 13 of 14
tgentry2
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes in Maya 2016 they fixed to long time missing or hard to get to keep faces together or not to. By place the nifty little popup. So if you haven't upgraded then do it. But if you are a Quadro 5600 and a Bentley MicroStation user do it with tests because I had issues. If I wanted Maya 2016 on that card, I could not run MicroStation with the updated drivers. If I wanted MicroStation I had to run some old drivers which caused problems with Maya. So a warning if you are using that card.

Message 14 of 14
alfie3d
in reply to: alik

THANK YOU DUDE SO MUCH THANK YOU FOR THE TIP!!!!

Alfie Rodriguez

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report