Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are Subdivisions?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pened
9893 Views, 7 Replies

Where are Subdivisions?

Hi,
does anybody know about Subdivisons in ver. 2014? Are they completely gone? Thanks. Peter.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
fuzzzzzz
in reply to: pened

always at the same place for me.

atribute editor, select the Shape node and SmoothMesh > Subdivision Levels
or
topMenu > mesh > smooth

bye
Message 3 of 8
pened
in reply to: fuzzzzzz

I´m sorry, my question was about real SubD Surfaces and it looks like is gone. It is completely removed from menus. But Smooth Mesh preview is there and it gives us some services 🙂 . Peter
Message 4 of 8
ctbram

yep you are right I rarely use them as they are pretty weak. But yes I just realized there is no longer a create subd primitive option nor is there an edit subd menu tab.

I guess it's easier to remove them them make them useful. I hope they do not get a similar idea with nurbs.
Message 5 of 8
Cory_XD

Hierarchical Subdivision Surfaces have been removed from the UI in Maya 2014. We recommend people use the Smooth Mesh.

Cory
Cory "Mr. Entertainment" Mogk
http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/cory
Message 6 of 8
alug

What reason in this? I like subdivs with levels of detail.

Message 7 of 8
matthew.c.kendall

This nearly killed my design workflow. Luckily, all of the MEL commands for subdivs still work. If you have a previous version, you can figure this out via the script editor.

And no, smooth mesh is not comparable in any way to the power i get from using subdiv surfaces. They allow more resolution with better control (i.e. moving a smooth 5-6 sided suddiv with 5-6 vertices at full crease to simulate a saddle surface). Full, partial crease and refine selected were great tools. The second that tools like this stop working completely will be the moment that I switch to C4D.

Message 8 of 8

Just like that ? Can they at least explain why and how to get the same result. At least it could have been left as an option.

Moreover no mention in the What's new document. This What's new document, by the way, is not available in pdf for printing.

Not much concern about customers wishes. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report