Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weld Not Working

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
dongray
743 Views, 21 Replies

Weld Not Working

Please, see the attached Max 2009 file and tell me why the vertex are not welding at every joint?
Every joint should be a single vertex.

Thanks!
Don

10122_OaAaeVa8B6IPnAth8bjr.zip

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
Steve_Curley
in reply to: dongray

Nope - no can do Don. Only the endpoints of splines can be welded, either the endpoints of a single spline (to form a closed "loop") or the endpoints of 2 splines (to form one longer spline). The main "outer" spline is "closed" (only has one yellow vertex), the others cannot be welded because in many cases you have an endpoint and a midpoint, or several endpoints.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 22
dongray

Hmmm, was not aware of this.
I'll rebuild it so it works.

Thanks!
Message 4 of 22
dongray

Ok, well, I do have the shape I want now, but there is an issue of a couple of lines that ruin the render.
They aren't in the viewport and there is no geometry that I can see causing this.
I thought it was a smoothing group issue but I had only one group and I removed that.
Help?

10135_vDC4rK86qeK6ZkeREhn7.zip

Message 5 of 22
Tim_Wilbers

Don,

Missing edges on the tops of the 4 inside gables.
Look at the Right viewport. The top rear vertex of some of the short gables do not align with the profile of the long gables. From the Right viewport you can 2D Snap on Vertex to the top vertex of the long gables.

That should do it.

10138_Nog7iT2srUs09NIFjhn6.zip

Message 6 of 22
Steve_Curley

Actually there are edges there, you just can't see them. Turn off Object Properties > Edges Only and you'll see them.
You could try doing some edge turning - it may help, though I think a better plan of attack would be slice up those very odd-shaped polys into quads - problem is it messes with the ridges...
Oh, and you have quite a lot of unwelded vertices which probably isn't helping. And quite why it looks like those smaller ridges are not at the same level as the main ridges I don't know. They are if you select them individually - they are all at 135.0 units above the ground plane, but the sure looks like they're different heights. Most odd.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 7 of 22
dongray

Must be getting tired.
Thanks for fixing it, Tim, but (and it doesn't matter enough for me in this case) the smaller gables must line up with line of the longer roof piece.
Is that what fixed it, lining up the vertices of the smaller gables with the long roof piece?
This isn't always the case, though, sometimes they are on their own separate level (not as high as the highest line).
Such as this: http://www.themathlab.com/geometry/section10/gables/gableassign.htm.
However, when I did raise the gables I highlighted all the vertices that I wanted moved and moved them the same amount from zero,
so since they were separated from the main line, they created an area not constrained by a vertex, or one close enough to keep the crease.
Message 8 of 22
Tim_Wilbers

Don,

Yes, moving the top-back vertex of the short gables ones again made the faces in the long roof sections c0o-planar.

May I ask how you are making this, and what level of detail you need in the finished object. Does the underside of the roof need to be open? That is, will you ever see inside? If not, the dormers become very easy.
Do you need detail on the gable ends and front trim boards?
Message 9 of 22
dongray

Hi Tim,
I really hadn't given your questions much thought, I was mainly trying to create a roof from a floor plan out of the air.
I have tried this in the past and not figured out what it was I needed to make it successfully.
Actually, this is WAY more successful than I've ever gotten in the past.
The main reason I got this far is due to a tutorial I found on a site when I did a search on "roof" here on the forum.
They (Batzal) have a new Max plugin called Roof Designer which I installed and that 's where
I got the finished object in the attached Flash movie. I didn't understand how to implement my idea (floor plan)
with the plugin (kind of tired at the time I guess) so I thought I'd use some of the ideas from the tutorial and try it on my own.
So, anyway, it's just at the stage of getting it made then deciding how to use it.
I'm kind of backwards, I guess.
EDIT: Oh forgot to mention, you'll notice the smaller section edge doesn't reach entirely to the center line of the main section,
yet is works. Maybe something in their plugin script?

10169_VjGfpDSgKEr8vMgA37f1.swf

Message 10 of 22
Anonymous

Don, are you still working on this? Going from the first file you attached I can see a number of places you might have gotten tripped up, and if I might offer a different perspective on how to create it as well. If you are still working on it, or just want to see how I might do it, I'll make a video and post or send it to you in a few hours.

As a reminder: yes, I'm new - yes, I could be wrong - yes, it may be funny watching me screw up - and no, I don't care 🙂

Back in a bit,
MP

Message 11 of 22
dongray

Hey MP!
Feel free, I'd be happy to see how you'd do it.
Post it here if you want it to be part of the topic or if not just send it to me at:
don at hometime dot net
Might better put something I will recognize in the subject line,
I get a LOT of spam and might overlook it.
Something like : Subscription Movie or something since I'm used to seeing Subscription as a keeper title.
(usually, depending on what is actually in the email, I get some very silly stuff)
It's good you don't mind being seen as wrong if you are sincere, otherwise you won't step out and be seen.

Don
Message 12 of 22
Anonymous

I'll do 1/3 of the roof and post it here, and do a full version (more the 3MB) an send it to you. Above is what I'll be sending/uploading.

EDIT: ok, not above 🙂 back one page:)
Message 13 of 22
dongray

OK, hope 3mb won't choke my inbox.
Message 14 of 22
Anonymous

Roof Video <--Good for 7 days.

Well, until I figure out how to make smaller files - I'll go with this. Let me know how the link works.

Any input on recording software or file hosting sites welcome 🙂
Message 15 of 22
Steve_Curley

Superb thread ( 😄 ) on Screen Capture software.
No idea on hosting - there's just too many of them.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 16 of 22
dongray

I just rebuilt the operating system on this machine and WMP 10 isn't running the video.
What codec did you use to create this avi?
Message 17 of 22
Steve_Curley

Who uses windows media player?
Media Player Classic plays it just fine 😛 http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

Oh, it's DIVX (Video: DivX 5 640x384 30.00fps 150Kbps )

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous

Thanks Steve - you are correct - and may I second "Who uses WMP" 🙂
Also second the K-Lite pack - been using it for years - never fails - never any problems

EDIT: Yup - looks like SnagIt will be my choice (maybe)
Message 19 of 22
dongray

Hey, thanks for the opinions guys, but like a I said I've just rebuilt the software on this machine
so until I get it in shape I'll be running into some of these things.
WMP doesn't ask you if you want to install the DivX player, you know.
Message 20 of 22
dongray

Interesting way to model it, some text description or voice would be helpful though.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report