Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vertices move fractionally by themselves?!?!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
310 Views, 3 Replies

Vertices move fractionally by themselves?!?!

I'm using 3DS Max 2014 and I've been a 3DS user for about 9 years but this is the first time I've encountered this problem.

It seems that 3DS moves verticies very slightly without me even telling it to.  Say for example I copy and paste the coordinates from one set of vertices into the coordinates of another, it will move the vertices as expected but then when I tab out of the spinner boxes the vertices will move fractionally.

It's REALLY getting on my nerves because, even though it's only a small difference, I still notice it and I have to keep fixing it.  I'm also a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to creating things so it's really grinding on my nerves.

What could possibly be causing this issue?

I haven't tried to re-create the problem in an earlier version of 3DS yet but I guess that's my next step.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Most common causes of anything like that are a) inappropriate System Units for the size of the scene and b) the distance from the Origin of the objects (or sub-objects) in question. Check those first, and remember that Max (as it uses single precision floating point maths) really doesn't like very large or very small (many decimal place) numbers and will become increasingly inaccurate the larger (or smaller) the numbers become.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Perhaps my units are too small... I'm working in meters because the games engine I'm working with works with that.  I guess I'll have to build larger scale then scale it down =/

Message 4 of 4
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Which game engine (if you don't mind me asking)? A base unit of a Metre seems very big to me - I (vaguely, it's been a long time) recall that a single unit in UT2K4 was equivalent to 1.905cm (work that one out if you can ;)). At least it gave realistically sized objects ingame. A unit of a Metre will make modelling small objects (distances) very difficult to do accurately in Max.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report