Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verticee Pinching?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
aaronharvey94
2211 Views, 4 Replies

Verticee Pinching?

Not entirely sure what this problem is called and I dont know how to fix it.. 

I thought I made a duplicate of some geometry I was editing, turns out I hadn't.  So I had to duplicate it again, remove some faces and 'fill the hole' then had the edges. Now its not smoothing correctly and you can actually see an almost square patch on the object when your looking at it in perspective view 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: aaronharvey94

Could be double vertices on those areas, check your mesh and make sure is clean geo.

Message 3 of 5
aaronharvey94
in reply to: damaggio

How do I do that?
Message 4 of 5
damaggio
in reply to: aaronharvey94

Under top menu "Display" turn on heads up display, you should leave that on always to keep check of how many polys you have in the scene and vertices too, by default maya will save that as you close the software.

Once you get that displaying in the Left upper corner. select the vertices in those problem areas and the display will show how many are there, naturally it should be only on on each corner and you should only have 4 sided polygons , no Ngons = 5 vertices or more should be there, all topology must reamain 4 sided polygons 4 vertices, triangles and sometimes Ngons are okay but it depends on the area.

Make sure there are no hidden faces inside the mesh.Merge the extra vertices if you have them.

Message 5 of 5
aaronharvey94
in reply to: damaggio

Got it figured cheers 🙂
Turns out the was an extra face under the geometry and the normals were actually facing the opposite direction.

In the end I deleted all the faces, filled the hole, then added the edges and smoothed it all off and its seems to have done it

Thanks for the help

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report