Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UV Map not working

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Youngy798
11715 Views, 9 Replies

UV Map not working

Hey everyone!

I finally managed how to create a UV map. I mapped a group of objects all at once and they all mapped fine. I saved the file and started editing it in Gimp. 

When I went to apply my texture it didn't apply properly and just put the entire map onto each object. 

3ds max error.png

How would I go about fixing this issue?

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Youngy798
in reply to: Youngy798

btw I knew the green lines were there, I just hadn't gotten around to removing them yet 🙂

Message 3 of 10
PROH

Hi. Could be caused by a number of reasons. Here's one possibility: Looks like your material is set to "Face Map". If so, then uncheck "Face Map". If this isn't the issue, then save your file as "Archive" and upload it (attach it to a post).

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 4 of 10
Youngy798
in reply to: PROH

Hmm I was looking around my model and I think I forgot to save the model file after doing the UV mapping. I saved out both a UV file and a snapshot (which I textured), is there anyway to open the saved .UVW or will I have to remap the model? 

Message 5 of 10
lightcube

Looks to me like your Bitmap is using the wrong Map Channel. I have a feeling that you unwrapped to Channel 3 (or other channel) but the bitmap is using channel 1. Click Tools, Channel Info and see if there are Texture Vertices in another channel. Often if you used Render to Texture with Automatic Unwrap, the Unwrap channel defaults to 3.

As a quick test, in the bitmap, change the mapping channel to 3.

Shawn Olson

Developer of Wall Worm
3ds Max plugins and Scripts

3ds Max 4/Gmax - 3ds Max 2020
Mudbox 2009-2019

Windows 10 x64
i7 8700K
64GB RAM
Geforce 1080ti
Message 6 of 10
Youngy798
in reply to: lightcube

Heres a pic of what I got. http://i.imgur.com/LeQe6fL.png I have no clue what any of this means. I still think that I possibly forgot to save after mapping, however I do have the .UVW saved. Can I just apply this map to the objects?

Message 7 of 10
PROH

If "saved UVW" means a bitmap with the UVW seams/borders, then no. The mapping information is carried by the object and not by the bitmap. So if your UVW mapping are lost (not saved), you can't just load a bitmap with seams/borders. You'll need to unwrap the objects again.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 8 of 10
ekahennequet

@Youngy798 wrote:

Heres a pic of what I got. http://i.imgur.com/LeQe6fL.png I have no clue what any of this means. I still think that I possibly forgot to save after mapping, however I do have the .UVW saved. Can I just apply this map to the objects?

If you unwrapped a group of objects and saved only one .UVW file, then you may have lost the UV Mapping on all but one object. Perhaps you didn't notice, but when you were saving the .UVW file, it is likely that you were prompted with Save .UVW dialog multiple times. When unwrapping multiple objects at once, you must save a .UVW file that corresponds to each of the objects. The way to do this is by getting out of Unwrap UVW after unwrapping a group of objects and deselect the objects. Then select each object individually and save out its .UVW under a unique name. Repeat for all other objects.

Message 9 of 10
Youngy798
in reply to: ekahennequet

I thought that was a just saving bug so I closed all the rest. I guess I will just redo the mapping then, practice makes perfect 😄

Message 10 of 10
ekahennequet

@Youngy798 wrote:

I thought that was a just saving bug so I closed all the rest. I guess I will just redo the mapping then, practice makes perfect 😄

You can save the multiple .UVW files all at the same time, but only if you remember the order in which you selected those objects.

Example:

Let's say you have objects named Box01, Sphere01, and Cylinder01.

1. Select these objects in the above order, Box, Sphere, and Cylinder and apply Unwrap UVW.

2. Unwrap the UVs. Then save the .UVW files consecutively in the same order as you selected them - i.e. uv_box_uvw, uv_sphere.uvw, and uv_cylinder.uvw.

3. When loading the saved .UVW files, you have to do it same way by selecting the objects in the same order and loading the multiple .uvw files in the same order. I hope this makes sense.

This is because the order of the UVs depend on the order of mesh vertices. It should work, but it requires one to either pay attention or write them down, or name the objects in a way that you can remember the order. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report