Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency issues please help

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
sleekzilch
48512 Views, 8 Replies

Transparency issues please help

Hello i'm new to maya but got by with tutorials but i think ive done something wrong ive been looking through forums all afternoon and still cant resolve my problem. the problem is if i add a texture most of the times its ok but when combining object ot make a whole, it goes transparent in places, also does it if there is alot of things in the scene the face normals are all fine and back culling is off ive also tried reassigning shader's and doing viewport options even to where ive fully reset maya but still problem continues when models are looked at in render view its fine, but when exporting them and importing them into a game it comes with all the transparency bits so its annoying. in view port i notice that if object and polygon transparency sorting are both unchecked its fine in viewport but when exporting still does the same thing. pictures below to show u what is shown. someone please help. 

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
damaggio
in reply to: sleekzilch

Set the viewport to Depth peeling...if there's no transparency for the shader but the texture is connected to transparency, disconnect that, just leave plugged into "Color".

The settings in the viewport don't affect at all your exported scene and materials.

Post your shading network picture so we can see what you are using.

Best.

Message 3 of 9
sleekzilch
in reply to: damaggio

Thanxs for the reply 🙂 i set the viewport to depth peeling and when tried to click the setting for the render in viewport it says my graphics card doesn't support it 😞 so it cant be that as it only recently happened and also by shading network from what i can gather i don't have one as i just combine the objects and uv map them for photoshop and the just right click and assign lambert then file then the picture that i have done in photoshop to cover the object.  thats how ive always done it and never heard of a shading netwrok till you just said. sorry if im not being much help 😞

Message 4 of 9
damaggio

that form the final look of your shader.
I don't know why you are having issues with just a texture on a lambert.
my only thought is that you might be using a photoshop file that might have transparency... flatten the layers and use a jpg instead

Sent from my iPhone
Message 5 of 9
sleekzilch
in reply to: damaggio

Seems to of solved it 🙂 turning it to a jpeg instead of a png cant see any problem when combing it as well 🙂 thanks so much cause i was told to use PNG format to texture 😞 thanks for correcting me 🙂

Message 6 of 9
damaggio

PNG are great choices, I used them a lot in Unity and Maya, PSDs, tiff and targas they are all good you just have to understand when to use them specially when involves an alpha channel or 16 bit

Message 7 of 9
halfstone

If converting your image map to JPEG from PNG solved your problem, it's most likely that your shader is reading the transparency channel of the PNG in addition to the color.  JPEG images have no transparency.  You inadvertently performed an experiment that probably gave you the answer. 

Look in the Hypershade window and look at the connection between the file texture and the shader.  If it's a JPEG image, you'll see a single, thin arrow going from the file texture to the shader.  Hover your mouse over this connection, and you'll see a little label appear, that says, "file1.outColor->lambert1.color"

If it's a PNG image, Maya may have also connected the alpha of the PNG to the transparency of the shader.  If that's the case, you'll either see two arrows, or one big thick arrow.  

If it's two arrows, hover your mouse over each one to discover which is the transparency connection.  Click the arrow, then hit the "Backspace" key to break the connection. 

If it's one thick arrow, go to the "Options" menu in the Hypershade, and uncheck the box labeled "Merge Connections".  That will split up multiple connections to reveal the individual arrows, and you can break them as needed.  

Another option would be to double-click on the Lambert material, and in the Attribute editor, look at the "Common Material Attributes".  In order to disconnect the transparency, right-click on the transparency attribute and select "Break Connection".  

Message 8 of 9
steph.wallis
in reply to: halfstone

Hi man, this was an absolute gold answer thankyou so much! fixed my problem too!

Message 9 of 9
Hans_Redman

If anyone still can't fix the problem, here is any way to fix that. (PNG files)
Go to Hypershade >Find your texture/Material > you will see the Out Alpha is linked to Translucence. Just break/delate the line you should be fine.
Hope it helps

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report