Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topology problem

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
647 Views, 2 Replies

Topology problem

Hi guys!

I want to create something like in the attached file "srcn1.png". However, there is a problem with topology: there is a triangle. I want to use subdivision and turbosmooth later so i need to convert it to quad. I came up to some decision (scrn2.png). Is it correct or better one exists?

Also, with my decision I faced the problem with subdivision (particularly with using sweeftloop to keep some edges sharp, "scrn3.png").

So my question is how to handle such things properly and keep model topology clean?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: Anonymous

You will need to manually place and correct your edge loops and not rely totally on Swift Loop. You will also need to round the corners, too, by adding additional polys.

I could upload an example topology, but there's a great video from Grant Warwick on Hard Surface modeling. He demonstrates it very well and has a section that covers a sloping shape like your model except it's protruding instead of recessed. But the idea is the same.

Hard Surface Essentials - Section 7 starts at around 41 min into the video.

http://vimeo.com/10941211

Message 3 of 3
ekahennequet
in reply to: ekahennequet

I've did a rough version of your example. (See attached pics and scene file) Hope this helps.

Render.jpg

Triangle_Corner.JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report