Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thickness...

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
miruna_nina
1235 Views, 1 Reply

Thickness...

Hello.

I would like to design the table from the image. I am having some problems giving thickness to the snail shell.
I extruded it (wasn't that pleased with the result but... it was better than nothing) and tried to smooth it. The result was a horror because there were to many edges and maya took them as a height difference.

1661437_713975651967285_2066752344_n.jpg

My question is:
1. How can i make the thickness better, without all the holes? (can i create edges between vertices)
2. How can i smooth the poly without making it look like a shell covered inside with spikes.

P.S. sorry about the question's noobness

Tags (3)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
klaudiofb
in reply to: miruna_nina

Try to again run to "Extrude" command in "Edit Mesh" but after you run it don't do anything yet...make sure that is not moved at all. 
Go to Channel box and in "Inputs" you should see something like "polyExtrudeFace1" - open it and at the bottom of the list you should see
"Thickness"...add there some value. 
That should fix the problem. 

If the problem is still there then go to --> http://www.ticket01.com
In "plug-ins" section you should see "MultiTool" it's free. 
MultiTool is, as you can see, collection of few nice tools and among them is "Shell" that is basically like shell modifier 
in 3ds max - adds thickness to object. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report