Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text Transform: One word turning into another

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
oirwin
606 Views, 5 Replies

Text Transform: One word turning into another

Hello, 

Ive been trying to model two names (ANNIE, JONATHAN) so that one lofts into the other. I know they are different lengths and # of vertices, but I wonder if there is a way to have the A extrude out so that it becomes J, and the N becomes ON, and the N becomes AT-- and so on, or partial letters. Im a begginner/intermediate with 3ds max, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff
in reply to: oirwin

From my experience, that is actually a very tricky problem. For a morph or loft, you really need vertex - to - vertex (or spline knot - to - spline knot) correspondence.

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 3 of 6
oirwin

Thanks for your response. So now I am just trying to loft a A into a J. First i tried adding more verticies to the J so that there were the same number of verticies in A and J. That did not work, but what did work was removing the inner loop of the A (the triangular hole).

So I do have a successful loft, where Ive used a straight line as the path, and then an A (with no hole) at 0% and the J at 80% but Im having 3 issues:

1. Strange twisting in the loft part. Is there a way I can change or relink the destination which originating vertice goes to?

2. Which face of the letter gets mapped on the loft. For example the J shape gets placed backwards if I do the J first. Rotating the original shape doesnt do anything. 

3. Once the above are solved, Id like to try to add in a hole for the A. I didnt see an easy way to add segments to the cap, or draw a triangular shape on the now flat face of the A. I was able to draw verticies on the face, but I forget how to connect them.

really apprecaite any thoughts, thanks!!

Message 4 of 6
Pyro777

Do you have time to post a file of what you have so far? (zipped)

Max 2019
Win 10 64-bit; Dual Xeon E5-2699 v4 @ 2.20 GHz; 64 GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
V-Ray 4.02.05.00001
Message 5 of 6
oirwin
in reply to: Pyro777

Managed to get it uploaded here. There are three different tries, each with the same issues I numbered above.

Thanks all!

Message 6 of 6
oirwin

was anyone able to open the file i uploaded and have a look?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report