Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spline - Convert to poly = doesn't work

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
37474 Views, 16 Replies

Spline - Convert to poly = doesn't work

Hi,
I'm using 3dsMax 2010.

I have created a big spline. When I tried to "Convert to poly", it doesn't work.
Usually, as result, the spline appears with a filled. In my case, the spline disappears.
I thought it might be because the spline is not closed, but it is correct.

Does anyone have an idea why the spline doesn't convert correctly to Poly?

Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Try an Extrude Modifier instead - if that fails as well then the Spline is probably too complex. Break it up into sections, extrude or turn to poly, then attach them back together. Remember to remove any polys which would become "internal" (if you extrude+convert) otherwise your vertices won't weld.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 17
gimpy_117

Before converting it into a editable poly try opening the rendering rollout in the the line/spline modifier list and select the check box "enable in viewport".
Message 4 of 17
Steve_Curley

That will give totally different results to "convert to poly".

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 5 of 17
WobiNich

Just put an "edit poly" modifier on it. that way you will get a poly and be able to change the underlying splineshape interactively (show end result turned on) as you like...

You could also use a uvw-map, cap holes, etc. modifier on it... in fact, every modifier that assumes the object to be a poly will convert the spline to an... tada... editable poly 😉
Message 6 of 17
danpool

I'll ask the obvious questions:

1. Is the spline closed?
2. Are the normals simply flipped and you didn't look on the other side?

Not questioning your intelligence here, just making sure you didn't overlook anything.
Message 7 of 17
Phoenix3D

I had this same problwm, worked out I must have cloned the line as an instance instead of a copy. I had to click the make unique button (under the modifier stack list area). Then adding the edit poly modifier worked as expected. Hope it helps 🙂

Message 8 of 17
JezEmin
in reply to: Phoenix3D

I've had this exact same problem and have solved it by NOT creating the spline in a Perspective view.

If I create the spline, for example, in a Front viewport, there is no problem and the Spline converts to a Editable Poly 🙂

Hope that helps 🙂

-------------------------------------------------
3d rendering services
Asus X299-SAGE, 7980xe @ 4000mhz, Corsair Hydro H150i Pro,
1Tb Samsung M.2, 128Gb Corsair LPX DDR4,
2 x Nvidia RTX 3090 FE,
3DS Max 2023.1 (3DS Max 2022.3, 3DS Max 2021.3 as backup)
Windows 10 Pro.
Message 9 of 17
neus

It happens when the spline is not planar.. I've made the same mistake lots of times. Hope it helps. 

Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 17
shangdamatsung

your spline should be closed, check for overlapping vertices, once your spline is closed, you can throw an Edit Ploy modifier an you will hava a plane

Message 11 of 17

You can try applying the 'Surface' modifier before converting to Poly

Message 12 of 17
designproduto
in reply to: JezEmin

Thank you!!!

Message 13 of 17
lieneAA3NW

I figured this out ... because i had same problem .. i was making a baroque ornament and no matter  what i tried it ether dissapired or turned in to a hollow shape . BUT the solution here is that when you have more complex shapes the verts might over lap somwehere. so edit the  line dots and make sure no lines cross and it makes clean shape specially those sneaky little corners . once you have done that applying  edit poly works like a charm and it turns in to a solid peace . 🙂 

Message 14 of 17
elzohry2007
in reply to: Steve_Curley

greate info thanks

Message 15 of 17
elzohry2007
in reply to: WobiNich

thanks
whats is the differance between convert to edit poly or add modifier for performace ?

Message 16 of 17
elzohry2007
in reply to: JezEmin

That's awesome
good point
but do you know why ?

Message 17 of 17
victorjamesG93FP

I have had similar problems quite a number of times and although trying to use the extrude modifier or the enabling in viewport doesn't give me quite the results I wanted. I found out that the problem was that the spline was not a complete closed spline. The solution, I went to each independent vertice to confirm whether it is welded to the spline vertices and it has worked

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report