Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] how to turn off Path Constraint

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
10822 Views, 15 Replies

[SOLVED] how to turn off Path Constraint

i have placed objects using Path Constraint, not for animation, just for modelling, now i want to turn off the PC, if i move any of them they get move only on path, not on axes, how can i turn it off ?

thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Go to Motion>Assign Controller>Position and set the controller to position XYZ.
Message 3 of 16
Steve_Curley

You can remove the Path Constraint, but if you do the object will jump back to the beginning of the Path.

This thread outlines the basic procedure, however you should not need to "make default", so having selected "Position XYZ" simply click OK. Note that you will have to select the "Position List" item on the Motion Panel, NOT the Path Constraint contained within it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous

i want to make it normal without any bound, i think making a script is best way that will make clone of them and set the rotation and coords one by one

edited :
well my script worked 😉
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

tools/create snapshot
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Turn it to editable poly.It's deadly simple.
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous

@Steve Whiteley : dude, that thing one make clones and those clones will also bind with that path, so no way with that
@BoyangZhu : no i tried that thing first of all

and my last post said "well my script worked ;)" but i forgot to update the topic title 🙂
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous

Sorry, I thought you meant path deform! Bleary-eyed reading last night.

Why would you use path constraint for modelling purposes? It does not deform the mesh, only places it on the path so I don't really see how this aides modelling - can you not just transform the model to where you want it, rather than using a path constraint?

Maybe a small zipped scene would enlighten?

PS: if I have several spheres constrained to a path, then make a snapshot of them, they stay where they are and are no longer bound to the path - see attached (ignore the deform parts)

10509_vcseEXTZyjlF0RqcSU2i.zip

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

no i dont want deform, i just wanted rotation and position along the path and i found that i could do this by path constraint, the max file is not opening.
Message 10 of 16
Anonymous

and yet again I didn't see that you are using Max 9 (!) sorry....unfortunately, my workstation is being repaired and I have a temp replacement here which does not have v9 installed. But, it you select all your objects constrained to the path and choose tools snapshot, with the end result set to mesh, then do you not get what you are after?

I'm sure you've gone too far down the road now and have something you like the look of but it would be better next time not to use this sort of controller as a modelling tool if you then want to take the objects off the path - better to use transforms and keep the controller as XYZ/Bexier etc. You could use a spline as a guide and snap to it's verts if necessary. Or better still use the spacing tool.
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

man yes spacing tool do the same, but i needed PC, so i used, i do not have any problem, i can extract my models from it and the snapshot tool does not do any special, it just made clones that also bind to path. So dont worry about it 🙂
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous

ok, well so long as you get the result you're after without much headache, that's the main thing 🙂 But I just wanted to point out, for you and others, that Snapshoting can be used and the clones are NOT bound by the path, so long as you choose the clone method as mesh.

Good luck with it.
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

>>well so long as you get the result you’re after without much headache
no man, i have wasted my lots of time in making that script, now i like that solution because i dont want to kick off my hard work, hehe
Message 14 of 16
sandeepcp17

Thats it Thanks man U save my Lot of time .....
Message 15 of 16
elfnadia

Hi, having the exact same problem. Can you post the script please? All the other solutions don't work.

Message 16 of 16
conahriversHYXH9

If anyone is wanting to simply delete the path constraint for a particular object altogether and not just hide the constraint etc, for example if you're getting yourself into a muddle over how an object is behaving with a path constraint then simply:

• Select object > select 'motion' on the right hand side next to the modifier and hierarchy panel

• expand the 'path parameters' drop down menu in the motion panel > find the small dialogue box which has the headings 'target' and 'weight' which lists the paths that your object is following (for example spline1)

• select a path within the dialogue box which you wish to delete > right click delete OR press delete key

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report