Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snapping in 3d max???

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
kirkrk
908 Views, 5 Replies

Snapping in 3d max???

Could somebody explain please why when I want to snap pivot point to a certain vertex I can't do it.

Pivot and vertex checked in in the snap window. Still when i try to snap the banding line starts not from the pivot center  but rather the point I put my mouse cursor on the screen and even if the target vertex is X marked  the snapping doesn't work or work only withing a screen 2d space.

I have 3ds max for years and still don't understand how the snapping works.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it's completely off.    It's one of the reasons I prefer Blender for modeling.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Curley
in reply to: kirkrk

Perspective viewport, 3D Snaps to Vertex (snap to pivot is not required). Grab the small circle at the center of the Move Gizmo, drag to the required Vertex.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 3 of 6
kirkrk
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Just unchecked the pivot in the list. Nothing changed.

And I don't see the small circle at the center of Move Gizmo

Tried in both Perspective and Orto viweports, no difference also

ps. I am using Max2008. Is it  kind of version specific? 

Besides of the  pivot point  I sometimes need to snap progection modifier cage vertexes  to a certain mesh. It also never worked normaly.  At the same time any random mesh vertex to vertex snapping works just fine.

Message 4 of 6
Steve_Curley

Yes, that's why it is important to state your version (otherwise anyone responding will assume the current version), and yes it has changed since 2008.
IIRC when moving the Pivot in earlier versions you didn't actually get the Move Gizmo, just the Pivot Point itself, which made life much harder. You could try snapping a temporary object (dummy) to the required vertex, then instead of moving the object Pivot, use the Align tool to do it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Message 5 of 6
kirkrk
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Thanks for the info.     I found that "Use Axis As Start Snap Point" checkbox  although still not fixes the thing completely   but makes snapping somewhat tolerable. 

Message 6 of 6
Steve_Curley

And that is one of the changes since 2008 - that option is no longer available. That said, personally I find the snapping much better now - others may well disagree 😉

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report