Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skewing geometry during rotation? Bug or weird setting..?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
peafwlweaver
819 Views, 3 Replies

Skewing geometry during rotation? Bug or weird setting..?

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone might have some insight into an issue that seems to rear its ugly head every couple weeks or so for me. It's affected me in both Maya 2013 and now LT 2015.

The issue happens when rotating any random piece of geometry I've modeled, in this case a window border. The object will be fine when scaling or translating, but no matter what settings I seem to have on for rotation or how many times I delete the history, it skews when I rotate it.

Example:

Pre-rotation geometry

After rotation

In this particular case, I'm trying to discretely rotate at 15 degree steps. That seems irrelevant though since unchecking discrete and free rotating causes the problem, too.

Taking the same piece of geometry into a brand new file will let me rotate it without issue unless the rest of the model within the scene is also pasted into it. Copying and pasting it back into the problematic scene after rotating in a new file results in a correctly rotated model but will then go to skewing when rotating if a new rotation is applied.

Does anyone know what causes this, or better yet how to fix it permanently so it doesn't happen?

For reference, I am running on...

Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 graphics card.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

can you send the problematic file (2013-Version)?

Message 3 of 4
halfstone
in reply to: horge_to_maya

I realize this is an old post - did you figure out what was going on?  I wonder if your geometry has been parented to another piece of geometry instead of grouped; depending on that hierarchical relationship and how it may have been unparented, you might get a transformation error like the one you see.  

Message 4 of 4
peafwlweaver
in reply to: halfstone

Hi halfstone. Your grouping suggestion seemed to be what I was doing wrong. Thank you for your fix and sorry for my extremely late reply.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report