Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift+drag Problem

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
SHAHeeN_S
8441 Views, 6 Replies

Shift+drag Problem

Hi.a few days ago i watched a video about modeling a car in 3ds max on youtube :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR_rbMli3rc

in this video he uses holding shift and drag the edge to duplicate/copy the shape but when i want for example create a box,convert to editable poly and select edge and holding shift and drag it not working for me.i remove the face and use only the edges and it works but on that video  he has 3d shape and not remove the face! i have 3ds max 2013. please help me. thanks.

Tags (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
luxxeon
in reply to: SHAHeeN_S

You can only Shift-Extend border edges, not edges that are surrounded by polys.  What you did was the correct procedure.  I looked at the video, and did not see him doing anything impossible, but the video is 26 min long.  Can you direct to the exact location where it appears he is shift-extending impossible edges?  Again, if the edge is a border edge (an edge not entirely surrounded by polys), then shift-extend will work.  It doesn't work on interior edges.

I'm so sorry.you are right.thank you for your help.Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
ekahennequet

Actually, it's possible to Shift-Drag to extrude an edge belonging to a closed model in Editable Mesh. However, you will end up with an impossible geometry. When you convert such an object to Ediable Poly, Max will splt them up into 2 Elements/parts and will try to correct a faulty model.

Message 5 of 7
luxxeon
in reply to: ekahennequet

Good point.  Yeah, Edit Poly is a lot more fool-proof than Edit Mesh.  Edit Mesh will allow you to do things that can quickly screw up topology, as you're also working directly with the face triangulation, as edges.  I'd suggest sticking only with edit poly, unless you have a legacy model you need to manipulate in some way.

I'm following the same tutorial and am pretty much a noob. How did you remove the face so you could shift + drag the edge?
Thanks,
Chris
Message 7 of 7
luxxeon
in reply to: cgomolak181

Removing a face in a mesh is very simple.  Just select the polygon, and press delete on the keyboard.  You can then select the border, hold shift, and using the move gizmo, pull out a new set of faces.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report