Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about texturing and unwrapping.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Absolutely_max
572 Views, 4 Replies

Question about texturing and unwrapping.

Hi there,

I recently made a very high poly model of a cobblestone wall. the cobblestones themselves are all different objects. How would I make an easy texture for this? I tried to select it all and unwrap it, but it is too much for my computer. 

Some people on youtube have textures that are for the entire front wall, instead of the grout, cobblestones, etc.

How would I do that?

Thanks,

Max

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blakestone
in reply to: Absolutely_max

What I would do would be to bake a few maps from your High-Poly model such as:

-- Light Map
-- Normal Map
-- Specular Map

You can use your Light Map and Specular Map to create your texture in Photoshop. You could also create a Low-Poly model and use these textures on this as well if you ever need to do that in the future.

I demonstrate this in a video here: http://youtu.be/n_Zg1M5czr8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 3 of 5
MadViolinist
in reply to: blakestone

Hi Blakestone, I'm not the OP but wanted to say I watched and enjoyed your tutorial. I'm a tutorial junkie, and have been for a few years. Your presentation is very polished, very high quality. Thanks very much, I look forward to browsing through your other tuts now. Smiley Happy

3ds Max 2014, Windows 8 pro 64bit.
NVidia GeForce GTX670
i7 3770K 3.5Ghz , 16Gb CORSAIR Vengeance RAM, other stuff...
Message 4 of 5
blakestone
in reply to: MadViolinist

Thank you for your kind words.
I enjoy making them and am happy that people are enjoying watching them!

Technical 3D Graphic Artist
Autodesk 3dsMax 2015 - Service Pack 4
Message 5 of 5
soulburn
in reply to: Absolutely_max

Easiest way if you did decide to just paint a single map and apply it to the whole surface is to apply a UVWMapping Modifier, set it to planar, and set it in the direction of your wall.

- Neil

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report