Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quad Draw Dots Snap to Grid Intersection?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
sweitz
1760 Views, 2 Replies

Quad Draw Dots Snap to Grid Intersection?

Is there any way to get quad draw dots to snap to grid intersections?

For example - when using the Create Polygon Tool, holding the x key or turning on "Snap to grids" at the top of the interface will make each new vertex snap to a grid point. It doesn't seem to be possible to do this with the quad draw tool at all (when creating dots or when moving vertices with quad draw active) - the only solution I have found is to draw the dots, make polys out of them, switch out of quad draw to move vertices (since moving vertices while still in quad draw also doesn't snap to a grid), then snap the vertices to the grid.

This obviously really slows down the workflow, and can't be the only way...

I feel like I have to be missing something really simple.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Samiam36
in reply to: sweitz

I am totally in agreement with you and no you are not missing something really simple, amazingly the functionality does not exist.

It is very poor that Maya's awesome snapping capability that has been a standard part of Maya since day one is not implemented with dot drawing....it would greatly improve the functionality of the quad draw tool with accuracy for the creation of polys instead of having to go back and after the fact to tidy things up, kinda defeats the whole purpose of a fancy tool kit to speed things up modelling.

One step forwards, 2 steps back.

Message 3 of 3
stephenwebb1980
in reply to: sweitz

I was surprised to not find anything for the 'X' snap to grid for quad draw in the toolkit, I use maya for a lot of architectural stuff and I figured the toolkit would be an awesome choice for work flow...after thinking about it for a few minutes though, I realized that using the create polygon tool in conjunction with the toolkit would suffice - or better yet, make your quads then exit the tool and snap the verts to the grid if you don't want to use the create polygon. Also, I don't think it'd be too hard to right a script to snap the quad verts to nearest grid intersection based on your grids settings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report