Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems using procutter to prepare mesh for shatter effect

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Atlas_1
341 Views, 6 Replies

Problems using procutter to prepare mesh for shatter effect

I am trying to shatter a window, I was told that to do so and make it look good I need to set up all the separate pieces/shards of glass before I shatter it. So I researched it and I came to find that pro-cutter was supposed to help me achieve this easily, and I have to say things just aren't working out, for me it seems to only be working like boolean and that's not what I'm looking for so if anyone has any suggestions or advice or anything that would be great, thanks
Intel Core i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
ATI Radeon 5900 Series
3DS Max 2013
Maya 2013
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
samab
in reply to: Atlas_1

Message 3 of 7
Atlas_1

I actually have that script the reason I'm not using it is because once the object is fractured it doesn't seem to retain it's original shape, it's just a bunch of separate polys in a clump, at least that's what happened to me unless I'm doing something wrong
ATI Radeon 5900 Series
3DS Max 2013
Maya 2013
Message 4 of 7
samab

I've found it works well for me, although it does not like hollow objects. It may be something to do with your geometry. Is it solid or open anywhere?
See my wall anim here to see how it should work.
Message 5 of 7
Atlas_1

ok yeah I've only used it for hollow objects and it diffidently doesn't like them. Kinda weird how that happens. that wall post should help a lot though thanks, however when using that plugin the fracture seems to be completely randomized, what if i wanted a more structured break so I can get something more like this? http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01372/glass_1372304i.jpg
ATI Radeon 5900 Series
3DS Max 2013
Maya 2013
Message 6 of 7
samab

OK, for that orb web type effect from toughened glass, it may need a bit more user intervention. Possibly using a mesh topology that resembles the look, maybe start with a cylinder end with cap segments and some noise. Try some other fracture scripts too, I have not tried them all, but I think some relay on the mesh topology so can be influenced in that way. See these.
The ClaverTech Crack uses a mesh based cutter, like pro cutter, that may work if it lets you place the cutter. BM Breaker shows a radial lines pattern, may be worth a look.
When I did that wall, I run the script more than once. First I did the whole wall to break it into big chunks. Then I run the script again on the fragments at the centre of impact to make smaller ones there.
Message 7 of 7
samab

This thread was a few months ago, but I just found this tutorial.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report