Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with extruding edges

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
szilberstein
13337 Views, 12 Replies

Problem with extruding edges

I'm trying this method I saw on tutorials of extruding edges by holding shift and using the move tool to automatically extrude a new face from the edge, but whenever I try that, all it does it create a selection box. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
PROH
in reply to: szilberstein

Hi. This only works with open edges. So first thing to do, is to make sure the selected edges are open.

If this doesn't help, then attach a picture showing what you're doing.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 13
szilberstein
in reply to: PROH

Hi, thanks for the swift reply! Yes, I'm working with open edges here, but it's still not working. I've attached a screenshot of what's going on.

Message 4 of 13
PROH

Try dragging one of the arrows (x or y). Should work.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 13
szilberstein
in reply to: PROH

I've been doing that too, it doesn't work.

Is this just something you can't do on Max 2015? Or you have to configure your mouse beforehand?

Message 6 of 13
Brock_Lafond

Make sure you are using 3DS Max Interaction Mode.

If you're application is configured for Maya some common 3DS Max tasks won't work; at least in my experience.

Alias/Wavefront Maya 3 -> Discreet 3DS Max 4 -> ...
Win7 Pro 64
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
Dual Xeon Hexa-Core, 48GB RAM
GTX 780 x 2
Corona Renderer, mental Ray
Message 7 of 13
szilberstein
in reply to: Brock_Lafond

Yeah, it should already be on Max Interface mode. The computer I'm using doesn't even have Maya anyway.

Message 8 of 13
szilberstein

Listen, is there another way I can extrude an edge like that? The actual extrude button does something completely different that is not what I want.

Message 9 of 13
Stefan_L

Just a wild guess:

You are sure that your Shift key is doing what it should do? Try to type some capital letters in 3dsMax (rename a layer or whatever).

This way you also make sure that you don't use the CTRL key accidently 🙂

--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 10 of 13
ekahennequet

@szilberstein wrote:

Yeah, it should already be on Max Interface mode. The computer I'm using doesn't even have Maya anyway.

It doesn't matter if you don't have Maya on your machine. Max allows you to work in either interaction modes. Double check that you don't have it set to Maya. I was able to reproduce your problem when I switched to Maya. This is because Max-only shortcuts get disabled when you switch.

Interaction_mode.jpg

Message 11 of 13
szilberstein
in reply to: ekahennequet

Hey, whaddaya know! Checking Interaction Mode worked! It had been set blank on the right side before, I just switched it to 3ds Max and it worked! Anyway, thanks a lot, sorry this was such an issue.

Message 12 of 13
ekahennequet

@szilberstein wrote:

Hey, whaddaya know! Checking Interaction Mode worked! It had been set blank on the right side before, I just switched it to 3ds Max and it worked! Anyway, thanks a lot, sorry this was such an issue.

No problem. Glad you got it working. 🙂

Message 13 of 13
jinil.shah30
in reply to: ekahennequet

I have the same problem. If i switch to max interface, the command would work. But i am a maya user and i have use max now....cant we run that command with maya interface. Please Help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report