Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to soft select only in one direction?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1702 Views, 8 Replies

Possible to soft select only in one direction?

Is it possible to use soft select only vertical? So it doesn't select everything around the selection, only, let's say left from it?

Is this or anything similar possible?
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sergio_m
in reply to: Anonymous

I have the same question...

sometime you want to move a long row of vertices with a fading effect... but soft select would affect also the rows aside which instead I want to keep in position.

Something like the Proportional Modification in Alias where you can decide if the Soft Selection continues only in V, only in U or in both.

Maya only give the option for both.

Any plug-in maybe?

thanks

Message 3 of 9
pshwayka

You could do something like I've shown below.  Adjust your falloff and curve settings to something like I've done in the example. Then, press the tab key to activate the selection paint brush as you drag upwards.  (I moved the selected faces out to show the narrow effect.)

SoftSelect.png

Message 4 of 9
sergio_m
in reply to: pshwayka

thanks for the reply

but this does not work as I want. Along the row of vertices there is no fading effect on the moving factor, I'd better just select that row and move it.

I think what me, and the guy above, were looking for is simply the Proportional Modification Tool 

Message 5 of 9
pshwayka
in reply to: sergio_m

You can adjust the fading effect with the soft selection tool by modifying the falloff radius...

I'm interested in seeing what you were trying to do, and how you achieved it with the proportional modification tool.  Can you post a screenshot?

Message 6 of 9
sergio_m

this is what I want to achieve:

proportional_move.jpg

I know you can achieve this even just with rotate sometime scale.

But those two manipulators are just terrible to use for fine tuning! 

I need to achieve this kind of operation for very fine tuning, to massage the mesh without messing up too much the relationship between each vertices in the row. as it would happen if I do it one by one.

To be honest is not that I am happy with Proportional Modification Tool as it uses a distance fall off rather than just fading the amount of movement going down the list of vertices no matter where their position is. I whish I new enough MEL/Python to script that kind of behavior but I am not there yet.

Message 7 of 9
pshwayka
in reply to: sergio_m

If you select the entire edge and place the rotate manipulator at one end, you can fine-tune the angle in the rotate tool settings...

RotateEdge.PNG

Message 8 of 9
sergio_m

albeit I have to move the mouse over to the Channel Box.. it ruines all the workflow.. and furthermore it is limited to the 3 axis.

I just feel the proportional move is a nice tool to have to sculpt in a simple way and do lots of repetitive tunes in a quick and intuitive way.

Message 9 of 9
christopher_cuatt01

I know this is 12 years later, but for those desperately looking for an answer, I hope this can help.  In other words, soft select "along one axis instead of a radius"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0qU5laQBhI

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report