Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photofly retopologized Mayan HeadHunter

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
DBuzzi
577 Views, 7 Replies

Photofly retopologized Mayan HeadHunter

Hi,
I made some photo's around a sculpture in a museum in Antwerp, Belgium (MAS) and let Photofly generate a high-poly 3D model.
After clean-up and importing the FBX with textures in 3DS MAX, the mesh had to be welded and fixed a bit, but it is mostly usable.
Wtih the Graphite tools it went all very quick: extracting edges; conforming and moving vertices.
I deciced to make only half the model and only the most free arm and hand. This way it's easier to rig for animation later.
With the modeling done, i could prepare the model for texture transfer. Setting up the UnwrapUVW and a Projection modifier, the Render To Texture made all the maps necessary.

Next step could be to take it to photoshop to correct the texture or to mudbox and go on there.

It works well, it makes it alot quicker to gets a good texture starting point.

greetings,
David

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
samab
in reply to: DBuzzi

An interesting project, I tried something similar a while back, but ran into problems tranfering the texture from the old Photofly mesh to the new Graphite one, I refer to this thread.
I probably could have got it with more work, adjusting the mesh and retoughing the map in PS, but I had to abandon the project when someone gave me some proper work to do. But it's something I would like to complete at some time because I think this method of modeling has great potential.
I just wondered if you could share some tips or more detailed methods on how you tranfered the texture. You can see in my thread what I tried, and what went wrong.
Message 3 of 8
DBuzzi
in reply to: samab

Ah, there is your thread! couldn't find it anymore. You gave me the idea of Render to Texture. And I was expecting to get the dark spots on the intersections, but I didn't. 🙂

First the UVW's where made and added/setup the Projection Modifier.
I think it's because of the Cage within the Projection Modifier.
With the Push Amount, it sets a blue cage around the model and projects inwards. Like this it engulfs both models. I guess there will be a bit of distortion, but it can only project inwards, so try to find a minimum.
Within the Render to Texture i didn't set anything specific, just that it takes the UVW from the model.
The red in the textures are mesh parts that don't match with the Photofly model. (mainly because I only made half the model and the sculpture isn't symmetrical (arm, leg, missing skull).
What i didn't get yet, it a good bump/height map, with all the fine detail from the original.

As an alternative (didn't try), you could add a turbosmooth to the low-res, and a Edit Poly: Conform all again (until no intersection, and/or set the Conform offset higher). Render to Texture it from that high-res and use that texture on the low-res....

I think retopologizing photo models has great potential too. It's quick, photoreal in all aspects and makes 3D even more accessable. The point-cloud model already has many uses, and retopologizing (especially in combination with Mudbox) has great potential. A lot of the video's on Siggraph where about pre-viz and retopo. Compositing tools will follow too I tihnk as it are the perfect 'plates'.
Message 4 of 8
samab

Thanks, I will give it a try when I get some spare time to experiment again, and post results.
I see that Photofly V2 has an update since I did that, which now exports to FBX which includes cameras. That gave me another idea. I could patch up the holes by picking a camera and it's corresponding photo, then using some form of camera mapping to project that bit of photo to the right part of the mesh.
Message 5 of 8
DBuzzi
in reply to: samab

That projection technique is also done in the Siggraph video: "Retopologize scan data in Mudbox 2012" Where he paints a photo on the retopo-model. Another reason why that is interesting, is because I'm not so sure Photofly delivers the higherest texture quality. Re-projecting the photo's on the model is maybe beter.
A map that combines/blends all projector camera's depending on face angle...
Message 6 of 8
DBuzzi

To answer my own question about re-projecting:
A Composite Map with a serie of layers each containing a Camera Map Per Pixel.
At first put all the layers in a mode thats shows the overlap and with that the offset/distortion.

In there point to the right camera and corresponding orgininal photo.
Change the Angle Treshold to find a minimum in distortion of the photo texture on the model.
The hard seams (overlap) can be brushes away by adding a Vertex Color map to the Mask.

After all camera map layers have been done in the composite map; Render To Texture.
Like this there are no limitations in resolution and have more control over the texture.

I think this completes my workflow for Photofly--3DS Max, hope you enjoy it.

Message 7 of 8
DBuzzi

retopo Laser Scan

another post, but then with a David Laser Scanner model taken to Mudbox...

Message 8 of 8
oshy80

great

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report