Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

perfect text bend?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
berky93
7131 Views, 8 Replies

perfect text bend?

How would I bend some text so that it exactly follows the outside of a cylinder? It doesnt have to go all the way around the cylinder, but I can't figure out how to make sure that the sizing is exact.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: berky93

I'd use the bend modifier.

Or the path deform modifier. You could detach/clone a loop from your cylinder and convert it to an editable spline and then use this as a path.
Message 3 of 9
berky93

I'll try path deform. I have been using bend, and it works okay, but it requires a lot of tweaking and never gets it absolutely perfect.

EDIT: I tried path deform, but it doesnt seem to work with text objects (I extruded the text a bit then applied the path deform to a spline I took from the cylinder)

I then tried path deform on a thin, long box object, and I realized that it wasn't deforming to the same shape as the spline, but more like a similar object where the curves were at the right place but in random directions and amounts. its strange.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

How about making a bitmap of your text and using it in a material applied as a decal?
Message 5 of 9
Steve_Curley

I suspect your cylinder has too few sides. Increasing the number of sides will cause the cylinder to more closely approximate a perfect circle, which is what the bend is trying to do. Make sure the pivot point of the text is at the back of the text and is precisely on an edge then the bend will be as perfect as you can make it.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Text as it comes, and then extruded doesn't always deform well because of it's topology. It won't have a neatly subdivided face. Straight lined characters like T, L or E (depending on font) will have few vertices and won't bend well. Curved letters like S or C will have loads of vertices, but it makes the face from long skinny triangles, so that can make for an ugly deformation too.
To get a nice geometry, you may have to actually poly model the letters, it's more work I know, but will work better if properly done.
Quick cheat, use Garment Maker to make the text object into an evenly subdivided surface, then Shell to make it solid. The downside to this is the random Tri mesh from garment maker may not always give the desired look either in some cases, but worth a try.
A nice quad mesh with sensible edge loops is what you want ideally. Then you can bend, twist, path deform or whatever, and subdivide further with Turbosmooth if you need to.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Like Samab said text as it comes is a bit wonkey when you turn it into a 3d object, however if you follow this tutorial "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0L07rTmMGI" before trying to bend it around your cylinder you might be able to get the look you're going for. Now if you have to worry about your poly count don't bother trying this technique, but I'd still check the tutorial because it might give you an idea on how to make your text more workable without having to model it by hand.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Nice one.
Hadn't thought of using Quadlaterals in ProBoolean, I rarely touch booleans unless I need to.
In one of the comments, someone mentions the Quadrify modifier in Max 2010, sounds like a new one I haven't noticed. Will have to look into that.
Message 9 of 9
anas.hijazie
in reply to: Anonymous

Really thanks its work 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report