Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts of model have become shiny/spectacular

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
4035 Views, 4 Replies

Parts of model have become shiny/spectacular

I sent this model to my friend for UV mapping. He has 3ds Max 2012 while I have 2014 so I saved it as 2012 max file. Parts of the model have become shiny/spectacular. I'm unable to revert it. Don't know how it happend so I sent another copy of the model to my friend and after opening it the same happend. Can you please tell me what to do to remove the shine. Mapping has already been done, none of the materials used are spectacular. I need this model only because for mapping some polygons were divided into pieces etc extra work has been done.

Capture.PNG

Thank you 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi. I'm pretty sure that this is a smoothing problem. One quick way to check that, is to put a "Smooth" modifier on top of the troublesome objects and turn the modifier off (uncheck "Auto Smooth"). This work similar to "Clear All" Smoothing Groups in the "Surface Properties" tab in the modifier panel, but is a lot faster when checking 🙂

If I'm right, simply clear the smoothing groups on the troublesome polygons/element, or reassign a new group (if you have round corners etc.)

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

That worked!! Thank you!!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: PROH

But model has become dull. Does not reflect light. I'm using it in Unity3D
Message 5 of 5
PROH
in reply to: Anonymous

Unless you altered the objects properties (right click -> object properties), then it's a material problem. Not all parameters in the materials are transferred to Unity, so you need to adjust/fine tune your materials in Unity.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report