Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent object not moving together with his childs!

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
RKKKK
3805 Views, 2 Replies

Parent object not moving together with his childs!

When all objects selected (including the parent and childs), the parent object moves half or less of the distance of the childs, in whatever direction i move this family! When unparenting the objects, they move just fine together. I tried to switch few settings from "tool settings", but I'm not pulling the right strings.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
_sebastian_f
in reply to: RKKKK

what you create is called "double transformation".

if you select the parent and it´s childs and you move it 2 units the childs (by default) for sure move 4. why? you move the parent 2 units and the childs follow but you selected them too and moved them also 2 units which adds on the already made transformation inherited by the parent. in this case just move the parent or check preserve child transform in the move tool options.

be aware that this phenomenon can happen in a lot of cases i.e. when you use deformer and move it together with the geometry or moving a surface created from nurbs curves and move it together with the curves (as  long as history is existing).

Message 3 of 3
RKKKK
in reply to: _sebastian_f

Ahh, that is brilliant! I had actually 3 parented groups mixed up, and thought it would be easier to move them in a one big clump rather than selecting the parents. Preserve child trasform made it alot easier. Thank you, made my day!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report