Community
3ds Max Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd error while undoing something

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
railuge
423 Views, 8 Replies

Odd error while undoing something

For some reason when i undo something, sometimes the model i am working on jumps around. I cannot explain it well, the verticies unweld themselves, weld themselves with another point across the model, adds vertices, and moves them to random places on the screen. I cannot avoid this and it randomly happens.

I have tried to get help with this multiple times and no one seems to know what is going on, not even costumer support.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
eric.paris
in reply to: railuge

You should attach your scene here for testing.

Once this is confirmed that the problem is not the file itself, you will have to clean reinstall the software.

I would be surprised that the problem is your max file, but not impossible.

Also, make sure you have all service pack installed.

Message 3 of 9
ekahennequet

In addition to Eric's suggestions, could you check your scene and object's scale? The problems you describe (vertices jumping around) remind me of the things experienced by users who worked on either objects extremely large in scale or extremely small in scale compared to the System Unit.

Units Setup

System Unit Setup

From Help Doc:
Warning Change the system unit value before you import or create geometry. Do not change the system unit in an existing scene.

Because of the nature of digital floating-point calculations, distances that are extremely large or extremely small can cause round-off error. Symptoms of round-off error include trouble navigating (zooming and panning become too fast or too slow), unwanted viewport clipping, and unexpected flipping of normals. Here are some general guidelines to avoid these problems:

Make sure your scene is roughly centered around the origin (0,0,0).

Round-off error increases at large distances from the origin.
    Make sure no significant detail in the scene is smaller than one generic 3ds Max unit.

Message 4 of 9
railuge

After working with a model that had no mistakes and then working with another that automatically "jumped", i think the problem might be with this file. It's a torso that i made so i can just load it up when i need it. If i recall correctly all the models that i have had a problem with used this. Can someone take a look at this and figure out what i did wrong? I import the torso into a new scene each time i need it.

Message 5 of 9
railuge
in reply to: ekahennequet

Thank you for that. Unfortunatly i cannot fix my problem with your suggestion, however i just understood some more functions of 3DS Max. Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
Steve_Curley

There are lots of unwelded vertices - this means there are effectively "holes" in the mesh. Those need to be fixed. Apply an STLCheck modifier to see them.
There are also a lot of triangular polys. Those will not Smooth well (Meshsmooth/Turbosmooth) so you should probably remove them where you can, and if you can't then try and place them on a flat area well away from any sharp corners.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 9
ekahennequet

As Steve mentioned, you have open edges, but that may be due to .3ds export/import. I find .3DS exchange format antiquated due to poly count limit at 60k and automatic splitting of normals. I recommend using either .FBX or .OBJ when exporting.

I looked at your file, and it looks like object-level scaling issue. When you select the Scale tool, the readout should be at 100%. (See attached pic) Otherwise, you will encounter a host of problems down the road. Max doesn't like objects scaled at object level. Always scale at sub-object level or use Xform modifier to do so. If scaled at object level, always use Reset Xform utility found in Utilities Panel, then collapse the model. This will correct object's scale to 100%.

Edit: Also, your normals were flipped. Try to turn on Backface Cull in Object Property. It's easier to detect normals flipping issues with Backface Cull on.

Message 8 of 9
railuge
in reply to: ekahennequet

i think you are right. Just did that to the model i am currently working on and some of the verticies jumped, i think this will solve my issue, just going to work through the current problem and i hope it gets fixed.

Message 9 of 9
railuge

Also, in the original file the normals were not flipped and all the verticies are weilded. Doubled checked.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report