Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object disappears when I smooth it after an extract

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
urbanizedspy
2716 Views, 15 Replies

Object disappears when I smooth it after an extract

Hi, I'm running into some trouble modelling a jet. I'm trying to extract part of the wing, because it should be a different object, but after it's extracted if I try to smooth it or the body of the jet, they disappear. Can anyone help me fix this?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
damaggio
in reply to: urbanizedspy

can you load an image of your model?

Message 3 of 16
urbanizedspy

It's the only angle where I could fit all 3 in, but the highlighted parts are the ones I'm trying to extract.

Message 4 of 16
damaggio

You are saying the extract function is failing?... Another simple way of doing is simply copying the entire plane select what you don't want, delete it ... The select the other mesh and delete what you don't want again... Now you have your two meshes ready.... Now just a reminder looks like your mesh is not modeled for subdivision, it's missing a lot of edge loops which may cause the mesh to deform unexpected .... Unless you are creasing edges . Again is hard to say why the mesh is disappearing while pressing the 3 key.make sure your modeling clean.
The blackbird is looking good though... Should be a nice model when you finish it.
Message 5 of 16
urbanizedspy
in reply to: damaggio

My issue isn't that extract isn't working, because I can extract the pieces that I want. The issue I'm having is that after they have been extracted, when I try to smooth them (with the 3 key) they disappear. If I unsmooth (with the 1 key) they come back, but they go invisible when I smooth them.

Message 6 of 16
damaggio

Cant see why it would do that, could you load up a MB file?

Message 7 of 16
urbanizedspy

I couldn't attach it through this post, but here's the link via dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/005xr22gfdw6p8g/JetV2.0004.mb?dl=0

That should be the one I was working with.

Message 8 of 16
Steve_Curley

.mb files will not attach directly - zip them first, then they will, provided the .zip is under the 5MB limit.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 16
urbanizedspy
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Oh! In that case, here's the file.

Message 10 of 16
damaggio

I just opened up your file in 2015 SP4 without a glitch, key 3 is working fine and object does not disappear.

Rename your preference folder and restart Maya and test it again.

Message 11 of 16
urbanizedspy

Did it work after you extracted a piece? If so, what/where is my preference folder?

Message 12 of 16
damaggio

It worked on mine after extraction....preferences are stored here   C:\Users\you\Documents\maya\2015-x64\prefs

Message 13 of 16
urbanizedspy

Even after changing that folder it still makes them invisible for me when I smooth after the extraction. I guess I'll have to try it tomorrow from school on a different computer 😕

Message 14 of 16
benklimmek

Hi

this maybe a little late, but

I was having the exact same problem , I found you have to change the viewport renderer to " legacy high quality viewport ".

Staying on the default setting means that "preview smoothed" mesh will only be represented by a wireframe.

Message 15 of 16
mspeer
in reply to: benklimmek

Hi!

Please provide more information:

1. Your Maya Version?

2. A Screenshot of your problem

3. An uploaded scene-file

Message 16 of 16
kubawoo
in reply to: mspeer

Had the same issue; it's an easy fix, fortunately. You just need to assign a different material to the object, then you can revert to the previous one and voila, the object appears properly after smoothing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report