Community
Maya Modeling
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya modeling topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob question: how do i subdivide a mesh?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
58743 Views, 5 Replies

Noob question: how do i subdivide a mesh?

i have a mesh, i did box modeling and i want to sub divide it....how do i do that? when i click on subdivide it gives me a new mesh which is already subdivided.... how do i subdivide a mesh that i have selected? thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
goodvibrato
in reply to: Anonymous

Select the mesh and from the polygon menu: Edit Mesh > Add Divisions. You can click the box next to the name to customize how many divisions you want. If you want to subdivide the mesh while smoothing it, you can select the mesh and go Mesh > Smooth. If you just want to preview a smooth mesh, press 3. To go back press 1.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

ohh ok but i still have 1 more question?

cant i subdivide it and then use the crease tool to pick how much i wana get it into that smoothing shape?
Message 4 of 6
goodvibrato

Creasing is used with Subdivision Surfaces. If you're using polygons, then to add a crease you just add edges close to other edges. For example if you create a basic polygon cube with 6 faces and press 3, it will look like a sphere. But if you add edges close to all the sides it will look like a cube when smoothed.
Message 5 of 6
valenRedBull

You can use "Edit Mesh" --> "Crease Tool" if you are working with Polygons. But often you'll find that it doesn't work just how you want it, and you're better off adding more edges as roki already suggested above.
Message 6 of 6
Alexander_Laheij_GameDev_student

One thing I know is that Maya seems to have a limit to certain things. For example a face cannot be divide above 8, even when trying to enter a custom number it seems to be limited to 8, so you may have to divide twice. One problem is you can never get a division of 11 for example. So one way or the other Maya is kinda broken 

Spoiler
Smiley Sad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report